Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

I have a faulty CDI high voltage generator coil so the engine wont rev past 5k when hot, I am in the process of designing a 12v ignition system which will use the existing trigger pickups.

Dopes anybody know the voltage output from the Low,High and Advancer coils please, scope traces would be great too.

thanks Joe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G'day,

yep, I'm Downunder, and thanks for the replies fellas.

It's been very frustrating trying to got technical information about the CX500 CDI, Honda OZ told me they were never issued with any information about the system and suggested I see an auto electrician, so that was a waste of effort.

I did contact a small coil winding company in Melbourne who supplied me with a table of voltages from the trigger reluctors and at what revs, the problem is that they were hand written notes and probably very approximate taken with a Volt Meter.

As was mentioned only a small PGT applied to the SCR gate will fire it, there are 3 pulses from each set of trigger reluctors IE.

Low speed, High speed and Advancer pulser the first pulse to arrive at the gate of sufficient amplitude will fire the SCR so I can only imagine that the various reluctor outputs rise and fall depending on the revs, just why Advancer pickups are required as well as High speed reluctors is beyond me.

Do you have contact details of "Rayman" he might be just the man, I like the sound of his inverter, there's not much point in ditching a perfectly good CDI if you can just replace the 100v,

see you Joe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.