Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

I have a faulty CDI high voltage generator coil so the engine wont rev past 5k when hot, I am in the process of designing a 12v ignition system which will use the existing trigger pickups.

Dopes anybody know the voltage output from the Low,High and Advancer coils please, scope traces would be great too.

thanks Joe.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Uh.... the CDI is the ignition mod. The high voltage generator coil is the ..... coil. These are different things. Although you could probably put the coils and the CDI in the same enclosure. Maybe poke a couple of holes in it so it doesn't get to hot. My flux capasitor is in the mail. Can't wait to get that puppy installed!!!

I have an Advancer coil pack you can have, it's good, I just didn't need it after installing the new Ignitech ignition. If you could design a new ignition for our bikes and program it well and keep it under $150.00 a piece, there would be many happy campers here.

Don't mind me... it's a holiday, and I've been celebrating

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
G'day,

I have a faulty CDI high voltage generator coil so the engine wont rev past 5k when hot, I am in the process of designing a 12v ignition system which will use the existing trigger pickups.

Dopes anybody know the voltage output from the Low,High and Advancer coils please, scope traces would be great too.

thanks Joe.

The low coil should put out about 90VAC,,the High is about 100VAC,,not sure what the advance coils are.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I think one of the Oz guys, Rayman, has already built

a DC to DC convertor for this purpose

I think they call it the Raymodule ?

you may get some detailed waveform info from them

'G'day' leads me to suspect you may be that side of the Pacific already?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Thinkin about it....

way back when I had CDI bikes, I did stick an old scope on the

ignition system and as I recall the voltages werent that high,

in the region of 20v or so as I recall.

They only needed to be high enough to trigger the SCRs anyway

which will fire at just a sniff of voltage.

Only the charge coils put out high voltages to charge up the dump caps

Dunno if I kept any notes ftom that time

since I moved to TI engined bikes I kind of lost interest

in CDI stuff and persued other projects

Tell us about your project

If you can develop a cheap alternative to the Ignitech you may be a very popular guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G'day,

yep, I'm Downunder, and thanks for the replies fellas.

It's been very frustrating trying to got technical information about the CX500 CDI, Honda OZ told me they were never issued with any information about the system and suggested I see an auto electrician, so that was a waste of effort.

I did contact a small coil winding company in Melbourne who supplied me with a table of voltages from the trigger reluctors and at what revs, the problem is that they were hand written notes and probably very approximate taken with a Volt Meter.

As was mentioned only a small PGT applied to the SCR gate will fire it, there are 3 pulses from each set of trigger reluctors IE.

Low speed, High speed and Advancer pulser the first pulse to arrive at the gate of sufficient amplitude will fire the SCR so I can only imagine that the various reluctor outputs rise and fall depending on the revs, just why Advancer pickups are required as well as High speed reluctors is beyond me.

Do you have contact details of "Rayman" he might be just the man, I like the sound of his inverter, there's not much point in ditching a perfectly good CDI if you can just replace the 100v,

see you Joe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.