Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi good people,

im new to this forum as i have just puchased a cx500 and it was runnin great and has just started back firing when the revs are droping on decelaration?i have 2 small holes on the motad 2 into 1 exhaust thats fitted pin hole size?its got worse over the last 2 days but have done 500miles since purchasing the bike and been ok,the carbs have been rebuilt and new cam chain fitted.any ideas would be great?

Regard Richard

·
Super Moderator
2,846 Posts
Did you change the ACV valves when you did the carbs? If they are bad or leaking they can cause backfiring.

Try covering the holes in the exhaust and see if it helps.

Reactions: Mad_Dog_Magg

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hi Rich congradulations on your bike,and a warm welcome from spain

i think Larry has covered your issue.

so,can you spend a few minutes to update your signiture line.include your bikes details and your location

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you change the ACV valves when you did the carbs? If they are bad or leaking they can cause backfiring.

Try covering the holes in the exhaust and see if it helps.

thanks for your reply!!

errrmmm i didnt do the carb rebuild the guy purchased the bike from said they had been done but got no proof really of that!!except new allen bolt kit on the carbs..i will try covering the holes and see what happens?could it be the ignition system?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
thanks for your reply!!

errrmmm i didnt do the carb rebuild the guy purchased the bike from said they had been done but got no proof really of that!!except new allen bolt kit on the carbs..i will try covering the holes and see what happens?could it be the ignition system?
Rich i doubt very much that its being caused by an electrical fault....no one can really comment on that until they know you year and model

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rich i doubt very much that its being caused by an electrical fault....no one can really comment on that until they know you year and model

ok its a 1981 Cx500 b i dot know much about them hence thats why im on here trying to find out..lol

im using it to commute into work so i need to get it right

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you replace your cam chain,i might have to do mine ,so iwas just wondering about that if it was a big job. harbri

·
Registered
134 Posts

Blue Fox helped me clean my carbs. If he hadn’t I never would have noticed that the ACV valves had small perforations in them. Taking care of them seems to have helped my backfiring issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts