Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guy's, my first post on your excellent forum so go easy on me!

Have a CX500 A that was bought in a ratty, but all complete state for a resto', have done a few before. After sorting the non engine issues and rebulding the carbs, I started her up yesterday and she went first touch (well it's Honda after all!!). Ran great on the bench but there was a rattle that I could not decide between tappets and cam chain so I reset the former, vast improvement, and then followed the instructions to adjust the cam chain, as per Haynes manual. After this, I restarted and it ran for a minute or so and then it spluttered to a stop. I made one attempt to restart but I got a nasty "chain dragging" noise, almost like a BMW starter clutch issue, so that was that.

Dropped the motor and removed the rear case, thanks to Murrayf and a good few others for their posts, expecting to find cam chain carnage but all looks 100% and no slack in the chain. The engine tirns over using the fron access bolt and the valve gera works as it should with zweo evidence of oil at the plugs. Lack of a 20m bolt has prevented me removing th rotor but I will do than over the next few days. If anyone would be so kind as to offer thier thoughts or experiences with a similar problem, I'll be a very happy man and thanks a million in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Murrayf, I didn't knoe there was one but it sure sounds just like when I had the same with my '95 R1100. I'll get hold of a 20m bolt, pull the rota and take a look and report back.

From your experience, is it worth doing the 'triple bypass' whils the engine is out even though all look good?

Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gear Auto part Metal Engine Bicycle part Gear Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Metal Auto part Gear Engine Automotive engine part Metal Auto part Disc brake Wheel Rotor Vehicle brake Auto part Rotor Locking hubs Flange Wheel
Never attached images to a forum before so hope the five are showing up?

As can be seen, all looks well with the cam chain and tensioners but I am not an expert. Clearly you got it spot-on re the starter clutch as I was met by the rollers in pic' 5. I just ordered a set of three each of the roller, cap and spring plus the neddle roller bearing from CMSL but that will take unitl the middle fo next week to arrave. Anything else I should look at please?

Really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Looks like that chain is real close to the end of it's life. While you have it open, you might as well change it. Replace your stator and think about replacing your oil pump chain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rambler.

How will I be able to access the oil pump shian please as it's not too obvious from the fiche?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rambler and Nolimitz.

Have ordered up the full set of parts, oooohch, so might as well clean and paint the 'kin engine whilst it's out but at least it should be ready for Winter!

Any tips please on rebuilding/reassembling the starter clutch when I get the new springs and rollers please?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got the 'triple bypass' done (new genuine cam chain same length as old one!) but I put back on the rotor and couldn't manage to get it to go 'home'. So, I removed it and one of the started rolled rolled right out of the 'kin thing. When I reassembled the thing, it looked like this, is this how it should look please?
Auto part Disc brake Wheel Rotor Vehicle brake

Any help appreciated thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts