Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

For the last few months I have been beavering away on a CX500 i got from a mate last year. It had been in his shed for 15 years or so after he brought it from Australia to New Zealand. I did a deal for it after he said it was off to the scrapyard, as he had to shift house. By this time it was looking like a basket case.

The plan for the bike is to get it running and operating right and then look at a few mods. At this stage I will be re-using anything that is serviceable or repairable before buying new parts.
Because it has never been on the road here I first have to get it licensed which means it undergoes a strict mechanical/safety check. The best chance for a positive outcome is for the bike to be as standard & original as possible. After that I can make a few changes.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle

So far I have done the following things:

Replaced the timing chain and both guides, mech seal, oil pump chain, clutch springs and engine oil seals. It also has a new stator and Rae-san ignition.
Repaired a large dent in the tank, fixed the indicator mounts and done a bit of work on the set pan.

Other than that its just been stripping, cleaning, refurbishing and putting it all back together.

Auto part Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Fuel tank

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Auto part Fender

Fuel line

Motor vehicle Auto part Engine

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To get the dent out I first used a dent puller but it was only of limited use as the dent was too big. So bent a thick piece of steel rod into a walking stick shape and used the rounded end as a dolly, inserted through the fill hole. Ive spent at least 8 hours on it but it's within a millimetre of where it should be, so close enough to fill now. It took so long because I had to heat and re-bend the rod to reach different parts of the dent. It seems these tanks, and the bikes in general, are not so common here anymore.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Damn - walking home material. At least cables are easily located for your model. Econohonda probably has them on the shelf.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A bit more progress has been made. The motor is back on and front end removed. Ive installed the Rae-san hall effect sensor and got the timing right so next is to start on the wiring and sort the forks.

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fuel tank Motorcycle

Also started making a pair of aluminium side covers. Still have to dish them out a bit and weld on the curved edges then trim to fit and polish of course. Unfortunately I wont be back in the polytech workshop for a couple of weeks to finish them.

Axe Broadaxe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.