Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm in Northern UK.
Just picked up a pretty tidy 400 Custom. Jap market only model that was imported here in 1999.
Odometer says 19000 miles and I think that is right looking at old MOT records.
It's all there and pretty tidy but lots of detail to be done over the winter to make it better.
I've been doing the safety bits first; brakes, tyres etc and changed all the fluids.
I've also cleaned the carbs out and got the chokes working properly which has made it start better.
I've had a few rides and think I'm going to like it - probably a keeper rather than the winter project intended :cool:
Next things are some of the alloy castings need renovating and some paintwork to do.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Welcome...looks tidy compared with many project acquisitions.

As well as all the fluids you mentioned, you might also consider cleaning and re greasing the drive splines and renewing brake lines (?upgrade to braided)
Dont know the 400 model all that well...i'm assuming theres no grease nipple on the swing aim (additional grease point)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I said I'd seen to the brakes that included a new hose and all seals for the master and slave. I don't skimp on brakes:cool:
Taking the rear drive off is on the list to clean up the casing. i will grease the shaft then. Seems I need Moly Paste rather than just grease?

·
Registered
683 Posts
When I said I'd seen to the brakes that included a new hose and all seals for the master and slave. I don't skimp on brakes:cool:
Taking the rear drive off is on the list to clean up the casing. i will grease the shaft then. Seems I need Moly Paste rather than just grease?
re the grease-Lithium based grease (NGLI-2) with moly....I use molykote BR2..but theres many others

·
Super Moderator
14,896 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and if you can find it your bike's model year (NOT year first registered as UK paperwork shows) to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature - I don't think manuals specific to the 400 models are available so you may have to get by with the one for the CX500C) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. In addition to the brake lines & tires that you mentioned don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).
BTW: If you didn't unscrew the cylinder jacket drain screws (front of the engine, behind the radiator) when you changed the coolant you missed draining about 200cc of the old stuff (one more reason to get the FSM). The grease recommendation is also in the book.
Also, when you have the rear wheel off for any reason it is recommended to loosen the nuts where the final drive attaches to the swingarm and then do things back up in the following order:
1) Tighten axle nut (this will pull the splines on the wheel and final drive into correct alignment)
2) Tighten pinch bolt on left side of swingarm (if you do this before the axle nut you will pull the ends of the swingarm together when you tighten the axle nut)
3) Tighten final drive to axle nuts last (if you don't loosen them or tighten them before 1 or 2 the splines may not be aligned properly, which will lead to premature wear of the splines).
I also recommend replacing the o-rings that keep the grease in the splines and the dirt out of the grease if you don't know they have been replaced in recent years (I bought suitable o-rings cheap in bulk on eBay so I can replace them every time I change the tire because it is easier than trying to remember when I last changed them).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So I thought I'd take the wheel out to clean the brake out.
When following your method when installing it I find the wheel locks up when I tighten the axle bolt!
What have I done! From all the drawings I have I've not lost a shim or anything - or have I?
Edit;
Ha! took it out for the umpteeth time and this time it's fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts