Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need a fuel tap for my CX400 Custom.
The male thread seems to be M18. Would that be right?
AFAIK it's the same tank as the 650 custom.

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
995 Posts
I replaced the vacuum type peacock on the 650c with an economy version non-vacuum type over 3yrs past. The only modification required were related to the difference in diameters of the peacock outlet and carburetor inlet tubes. To adapt I used two sizes of fuel line with a fuel filter in between. A couple of small clamps were required. Absolutely no problems with peacock so far and it cost about $6 on eBay.
20210114_101853.jpg

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
995 Posts
I forgot to mention the vacuum hose connected to the original peacock must be plugged to avoid an intake leak.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
virtually everything on your bike is the same as for the 650 Custom - bar the motor capacity.

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
995 Posts
An additional benefit to installing the non-vacuum type petcock is the ability to fill the float bowls with fuel without cranking the engine for any extended period as is required with the vacuum type. The flow of fuel can be observed in the clear fuel filter also and it adds extra protection from particulate matter which could foul the carburetors. I personally dislike vacuum petcocks that do not have a prime position and replaced the original on the 650 as one of the first things after acquiring the bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. In the end I just made a new gasket and dispensed with the vacuum feature on the tap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts