21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,524 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
By the looks of the wiring diagram it's the Y/r and G/r that are the coil. So I will test that tomorrow. I think that I held the starter switch too long and damaged something. I guess we will see soon enough.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,995 Posts
BTW: From what I can tell the only significant differences between the wiring of the GL650 and the CX650E are all related to the instrument panel (the E's keyswitch doesn't have an Accessory position but that is minor) so I usually look at the colour GL650 drawing for everything else because I find it easier to follow.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The coil on the starter relay seems fine yet when I power it up it doesn’t pull in the contacts. I’m guessing the thing is stuck in the open position!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ya it's weird. The coil checks out on the ohm meter. But put voltage to it and nothing happens! Well there is some arcing when you connect the wire.
Can you pull these things apart? I bet it's just stuck! LoL

·
Registered
373 Posts
Can you pull these things apart? I bet it's just stuck! LoL
You can, but it probably aint worth it, the contacts get pretty worn out from the high current and cleaning them up to new metal may remove too much material for it to be reliable again.
Undo the nuts, you`ve then got two screws, and you`ll have to un-solder the coil wires to pull it apart...
When you factor in the low cost of a new part it`s probably false economy.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
where is the best place to get these parts these days?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Honda wants 132 Canadian! After market from Sirius 38 and 15 shipping.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts