Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be starting my cafe build, and I'll be doing all the maintenance in the process - which means I'll be dropping the motor for some of it.

It seems to make sense to pick up a motorcycle lift to make things easier - however I don't have the cash to drop $4-500 on one.

Are there any good cheap ones out there that will get the job done? And will one like this work with the CX, considering there's no frame under the motor?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
If all you are doing it dropping out the engine then get a milk crate. Most milk crates are the right height with the engine so it takes out the fuss work.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Maybe you should tell us what you really want to do first.

Do you want to strip the bike down to nothing and then back up?

What's the reason for the tires off and engine at the same time.

If i'm going to strip a bike down to nothing and build it back up I will do so on the engine. If I want to just get the tires off in the are I put the bike on the centerstand and lift the front off the ground and inch or so. Usually with the milk crate under it.

Other ways involve straps. Unlike most bikes ours don't have downtubes that run under the engine to use for support.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
My Bike is sitting on two cinder blocks & a couple 2 x 4s right now... I usually put a saftey to the ceiling rafters when I'm horsing it around... It feels iffy on blocks but it's never tried to fall... the milkcrate is perfect

The motor weighs something like 186lbs. I can easily lift it onto a crate with the top hangers installed. Just putting it on a movers blanket you can slide it under the workbench...

I keep a chain hoist, come alongs, bottle jacks and some other "persuaders" around to lift, move or bend stuff...

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
A few people on this list bought the Harbor Freight "table" lift, it's was about $300 and there were no complaints about it that I recall.

There was also a CX'er who bought some plans on FleaBay and made his own lift from 2X4's and plywood. I think those came in for under $100 including the $15 for the plans.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I'm going to be starting my cafe build, and I'll be doing all the maintenance in the process - which means I'll be dropping the motor for some of it.

It seems to make sense to pick up a motorcycle lift to make things easier - however I don't have the cash to drop $4-500 on one.

Are there any good cheap ones out there that will get the job done? And will one like this work with the CX, considering there's no frame under the motor?

Thanks,

Dave

That's very similar to the one I use.Bargain,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorcycle-Mo...89?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43a3419fcd

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

Thanks,

Dave

That is the type I have in my garage, was regular about $150, got it for 1/2 price new in the box on sale.

Lifts sleds, quads, bikes, kegs, generally a good item to have around. When I have a wheel off or both on the bike,

I too will rig a strap up to the rafters and usually hook it to the seat stay, just for my own comfort.

I will use some wood blocking to clear the exhaust when lifting though because like you mentioned there is no

frame member to use as a lift point.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I have only removed and replaced 3 CX500 motors but I just put the bike on the centerstand and take everything loose and remove all motor mounting bolts except one front and the long one in the rear. Use a floor jack to lift the motor slightly so I can get the remaining bolts out, let the motor down a little bit and roll it out from the frame on the floor jack, re-install the same way. I have a small piece of wood I made to fit under the motor to steady it n the jack, I probably should bolt the wooden piece to the jack. I have a helper for about 5 minutes to steady the motor and help me lift it onto my work bench.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Thanks,

Dave

I have a lift like that I got at a tool sale for $65 I wouldnt spend tons of money on one but I will say they are great to have and very handy. I am with Blind though, milk crates work well and so do just plain floor jacks and some 2x4s if your wanting to get right to work without waiting on one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just bought one from Sears. It serves two purposes. First I'm pulling the trans out of my blazer and second I can lift the cx and my cr with ease. Paid $110 for it. It came with straps and was a huge help with the transmission.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I haven't used it for the GL yet, but I have the cheapy transmission jack from Harbor Freight. Seems like it'll work well. Has to be better than using a floor jack, that thing was a nightmare.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
HF one is on sale now and looks reasonably well built. They've been improving their tools over the past year - and the wrench sets are extremely good now but don't buy the really cheap socket set, only the good ones. http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-2792.html

I've been impressed at how much their quality of products has increased over the last year. Yea, they've still got low-quality junk but you get what you pay for. Even the power tools have improved but they're still quoting in Chinese HP. I got over a year out of a 1/2" impact drill used a lot but who am I to complain for $25? I used the heck out of it in concrete with 3/4" bits.

I am not totally happy with their grinders or belt sanders but that drill press kicks a** for the $ and if you've got a place to mount one - when they're on sale grab one and don't forget to get a small drill vise, one slip means a mess and usually damage to your fingers.

Nothing beats a good press if you're used to using a common hand drill. Total control.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-drill-press-38119.html

Sign up for their newsletters and you can get one for $60 right in the store with their 20% off coupons. Totally worth it. I have two and two of the http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-jaw-capacity-drill-press-vise-30999.html also and they are worth it. Trip to the ER isn't fun and they hold things in perfect precision.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.