Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the 1981 and 1982 CX500 Customs the same mechanically? I've found someone with some parts I need but the bike is an '82.

For whatever reason the Honda CX models are very confusing to me. It would be really neat to see a photo time line of U.S.A. models with explanations of major changes.

Mike

update:

I just tried to cross reference some random parts like the clutch cable, front brake caliper, gear shifter through Bike Bandit and Cycle Parts Warehouse. The parts all looked the same but had different numbers. Are the '81 and '82 that different? I'd sure like to see some photos.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The one thing I do know with the 500's is that in 82 the ignition is a TI whereas the 81 and earlier models used the CDI ignition. As far as the front brakes go the 82 has the dual piston caliper and I think the 81 still had the single piston.

I'm not sure of any other differences though.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
The 1982 CX500C engine is substantially the same as the (TI)GL500(I) engines, and a bit different than the (CDI) engines of the '78-'81 CX500s. Some differences between CDI 500 and TI 500 engines are the stator and rotor, and lack of a rear top engine mount/hanger on the TI engines. '82 CX500C has a different top coolant gooseneck from the GL engines though, as well as radiator top inlet location.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts