Honda CX 500 Forum banner

CX/GL Information Wiki

77K views 49 replies 31 participants last post by  GeezRmcFart 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 ·
I'm asking Dave F to pin this thread, but keep it unlocked so everyone can post as to what more, or different they would like to see on the Wiki. If you would like to join in the writing and editing of the Wiki, just request membership.

Thanks to all who contributed to this project. StormRider created the site, FADM Stern GNSF, DanCX500, CXPHREAK, and others have contributed to the organization and articles for the site. Blindstitch, Dave F, LRCXed,Shep,and Eurovee, contributed massive amounts of information, and many others who have posted on the forum in the past have also contributed. Thanks to everyone, we hope this will continue to be improved and updated and remain a convenient source of information for anyone seeking it.

Reactions: g19nde and troutbum
#3 ·
highly organized and easy to follow.

well done to all you guys for taking the time and effort to put this together for us all,and the next generation.

#7 ·
Does anyone have access to the Service Manual and Parts listing for the '81 CX500C? They seem conspicuously absent in the list of manuals available on the Wiki.

#10 ·
The wiki is superb. My first question here, was concerning oil. I use Shell's Rotella T 15-W-40 in everything I own. Diesel rated oil has always been superior to gasoline engine oil. It's good to know that Rotella T won't harm the wet clutch, and that I can continue to buy only one kind of oil. I buy it by the gallon, and dispense as needed to everything I own!

Reactions: Grumpy's garage
#11 ·
First off, you guys are amazing for having the experience and knowledge, as well as finding the time and wits to put it up on the internet for us ten-thumbs people.

I have a question linked to the part of the wiki sites that explains the problems related to the rear suspension.

The site divides the rear suspension into "CX Model Shocks" and "GL Model Shocks", there is no statement on the CX650E model having the GL Model Shocks and to what extent it is identical to the GL or other model motorcycle.

I wonder also how different/alike the rear suspension problems found on the GL motorcycles are when compared to the CX line of motorcycles having the same shocks.

Thanks for any response.

#12 ·
The Wiki article is just a minimal discussion on the suspension. Since the CX650E's were never imported into the US, my knowledge of them is woefully inadequate. I would welcome a discussion thread that could be incorporated into the Wiki site, if there is anyone willing to expand the discussion. It probably should be in the General or Technical Section, and I'll pick up on it there.

#17 ·
Is there anything on our site about whether the saddle bags for GL 500 and GL 650 are interchangable

#20 ·
I received Larry's carburetor rebuild manual today and wish I had bought it as soon as it was available. Like with everything else Larry Rules. Thanks Larry.

Reactions: orcish
#23 ·
Everyone, please note there may be a change soon to how the wiki works. Details are not final. Please go to the tech section and see the thread "problem with wiki" for more info.

#24 ·
This Wiki will be deleted on November 15, due to changes in the Wiki pricing structure system. If there are any articles that you want to personally copy, do it before then. A new, similar wiki is being developed as part of the CX/GL Forum. It should be available soon.

#27 ·
Want to say thanks for taking on the wiki migration. I spent a lot of time last winter using it to complete a triple bypass among other things. A quick look at the new site and it's clear you've put some real effort into making sure nothing was lost. I'd say it's more clearly laid out now as well. Just want to pass along my kudos to you all who put the necessary time and energy into keeping this stuff active, relevant, and accessible! :icon_thumright:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.