Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if the original CX/GL engineers ever look at this site and if so, would they be proud? Amazed? Confounded? Abashed? In any case, I would be in the front row if one of them came and talked about their goals, achievements, and regrets. Or has this been done before and I missed it?

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
While I don't know the answer to your question, what is stopping anyone from writing Honda themselves and asking?

It would be a fun excursion.....I like it.

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
24,023 Posts
I don't know if the Japs are the same as people here but if so it is unlikely any of them still work for Honda, - but you never know.

Apparently the designer was the same one responsible for the CBX 1000.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am curious if the original CX/GL engineers ever look at this site

Wouldn`t it be cool if they did?

We could at last get answers to the most holy of holy CX questions.

What would you ask, though?

I know what i`d want to know..........

What oil do i use?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Here's my submission

1. "If you could have improved this bike (back then), what would it have been?"..."Was there something on the design floor that never made it to the bike? What was it?"

Supplimentary question..."Why don't your resserect this model today?"

·
Registered
724 Posts
they resurected the name "silverwing"...

as a scooter

i would like to meet or speak with an engineer on my bike so i can ring his freakin' neck for the frame design

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,479 Posts
i would like to meet or speak with an engineer on my bike so i can ring his freakin' neck for the frame design
Jeez, Mike! If you make threats, they'll just keep hiding.

R

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I am curious if the original CX/GL engineers ever look at this site and if so, would they be proud? Amazed? Confounded? Abashed? In any case, I would be in the front row if one of them came and talked about their goals, achievements, and regrets. Or has this been done before and I missed it?

Or exiled? For making a product that lasts so long.

This is NOT "planned obsolescence".

·
Registered
223 Posts
More like pushing 71. Shoichiro Irimajiri, the designer of the CX500 (as well as the CBX and GL1000 Goldwing) was born in 1940.

As the former head of Honda US, I'm sure he had/has a good command of Emglish.

Greg

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
While I am not an engineer and I don't play one on TV, I've had enough experience dealing with the breed that I can tell you they usually don't have enough time or the inclination to really care much about individual products. If you look at the lineup and the number of new bikes and models they were putting out at the time, they were going full time figuring out problems, analyzing data and coming up with solutions. Engineers see problems that need to be overcome, they really don't think like "normal" folks do, at least none of the ones I have known.

No doubt they're proud of their success's, but they probably have much clearer memories of their failures.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Posted some CX build photos on another site and believe (not sure) one of the guys that replied was a retired Honda engineer. He would tell me if something I did was a good idea or not. Have not posted on the thread lately, but will post an update on the thread today. Please forgive my spelling of "modification" in the thread name.

http://www.sporttouring.us/threads/8400-1980-Honda-CX500D-Modifiaction

·
Premium Member
12,479 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't know about the engineers but it looks like Honda has got a new group of stylers..................uuugggly! Of course that's my opinion.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I don't know about Honda but many Japanese companies form an engineering "team" that's assigned to the entire project line from point of conception until the design is finally retired. The chances of finding one of the enginers would be high if you started communicating with the right people. He'd obvously be on a different "teaam" now but it would be interesting to try and find one.

·
Premium Member
12,479 Posts
Posted some CX build photos on another site and believe (not sure) one of the guys that replied was a retired Honda engineer.
I read through that thread, and he struck me as an experienced enthusiast who happens to be Japanese. Has he mentioned working for Honda in another thread?

R

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.