Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my bike home and it is ruffff. It's missing some parts and the shift lever was welded on.I'm planning on building a Brat style anyway. The engine was stuck and I freed it up with some Marvel Mystery oil. The heads are comming off so I can check the bores and if they are good it will get freshened up with a new gasket set and any thing else that needs attention. I can't complain about a freebie so I'm pretty excited. I've already disassembled everything to see what I need. Here are some pics if I can get them to post.

This is it now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That is "rufff" indeed. But as you also said the price was right.

In the 2nd picture (engine close-up) I see a very rusty camshaft end. The surface on the cam that the oil seal contacts is most likely pitted enough to rapidly trash a new oil seal. Just a heads up and this is not meant to discourage.

I like "freebies". At the least, tearing everything apart for inspection is a great learning experience.

Good luck with it all.

Hoppy

P.S. The shift lever was WELDED on???? Gasp!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hoppy on the headsup on the seal. I'm looking for a good parts bike close by that the engine hasn't been taken apart.I need a lot of parts that are missing. My nephew bought this bike with another that was running and we think the p.o. robbed parts from this bike. Notice the clutch cable stay in the image.

·
Registered
385 Posts
looks like your missing your impeller cover. I think I have an extra. its yours for the price of shipping. PS if there are any engine parts that you may need I will see if I have them. (I have a parts engine. the camshaft is broken on it).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Zeg, thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind.I think I may end up with the other CX my nephew got with this one. It is a running '82 Custom that is almost as rough as this one.The carbs from mine are on it.He gave the guy $250 for both and rode the '82 25mi home.I have a buddy that has a pr of Sportster Custom shocks and he thinks the stock mufflers I can have.They were take offs from his wife bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts