Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can shed some light on my noise
I have 1984 CX 650E that has a whizzing sound when it warms up from the front of the motor ,it comes and goes .The engines performance is not affected ,I think its from the fan motor but it seems the fan is not turning, the water pump seals has been changed and radiator fluid seems to circulate ok
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,904 Posts
The electric fan only turns on when the temperature of the radiator reaches a certain point and off again when it cools down a bit (maybe it wasn't hot enough when you looked?) so the fan will cycle on & off in normal operation and this could be what you are hearing.
If you can get at the fan thermo switch on the radiator and unplug the connector from it you can plug a wire into the connector to turn the fan on.

BTW: Don't forget to add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile like I asked you to in your last thread.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
It’s been my experience that the 650 electric fan rarely operates. It only comes on when the temp gauge is up to about 3/4 or a bit more, which I virtually never see in normal riding. When it does come on it pulls the temp down effectively. “Ram air” generally is sufficient, another indication of Honda engineering.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,904 Posts
Could be, but tach noise doesn't usually increase as the engine warms up.

It’s been my experience that the 650 electric fan rarely operates. It only comes on when the temp gauge is up to about 3/4 or a bit more, which I virtually never see in normal riding. When it does come on it pulls the temp down effectively. “Ram air” generally is sufficient, another indication of Honda engineering.
Mine doesn't run much either but I always thought that was mostly because I seldom use the bike in hot weather.
Now, the GL1100's fan comes on a lot and its sound could be described as faintly whirring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts