Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there CX fans worldwide.

I rebuilt my CX 650E over a year ago and still have issue with it starting on one cylinder with lots of popping on the left hand (LH) cylinder until it fires evenly after about 3 to 4 mins as it warms up . Once warm and ridden it will always start on both cylinders for the rest of the day. But leave it tin the garage for a few days and same old issue returns. I have stripped carbs very carefully (several times) and blown air through the jets, replaced HT leads, spark plugs, HT caps and all to no avail BUT I find if I pull off the LH HT Lead from the plug when running (only on RH cylinder) it somehow makes the LH cylinder start to fire ok and I hear the crack of the spark jumping from HT cap top the plug but as soon as I push it back on the plug it is back to popping and misfiring on that cyclinder.

The spark seems really powerful when I test the spark by laying the plug on the cylinder and turning over on starter and it will jump a really wide plug gap. Should I try to increase plug gap rather than close it down to help cure this symptom? I have tried the iridium plug high quality plug on this cylinder but makes no difference to standard plug.

Did I read on the forum somewhere some members replace HT caps with brass rods to give direct HT feed to plug??

Could the coil be at fault or CDI box? It has the later transistorised ignition set up.

Any suggestion on how to test these items or finally cure this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks for help and support in advance of a host of helpful responses which I have received previously when I have posted queries. (Seem to be lost in font size selection at moment)

·
Registered
24,386 Posts
you could try removing the resistor from the plug cap and replacing it with a brass rod

check the spark plug wire itself they will shrink with age and pull out up at the coil but still be in the boot

last but not least the methoud you used to clen your carbs does not work on these carbs they have to be complete;y stripped and ultrasonically cleaned

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for advice. I will try the easiest first and remove the resistor from spark plug cap. I have an old one I can cut open and try.

Henry

·
Registered
24,386 Posts
you dont cut them open

remove from the bike by unscrewing from the wire and pulling off

turn the cap up to face you look on the brass part that slips over the plug you will see a slot for a screw driver undo that and you can tap on the cap and all

the bits will come out

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I love this picture from @????
Again many thanks to @???
SparkplugExtra.jpg

one/two of my plugs
Schmodder.jpg
I got the spring out, but not the alloy rod.

The lower plug in the pic (with a lot of electron dirt ;-) ) didn't work, when it was wet outside. After ~~3-4 km, he gave up to bring the spark to the spark plug and decided then/than to work fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts