Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I have been repairing my CX650 E for almost a month now after being side swiped by a car.

Getting parts for this bike SUCKS! but I love the bike so much

I have spent about 300 bucks so far for buying pretty minor parts..

My question is, has anyone ever ripped or destroyed the fairing of a CX 650 E and not wanted to put a replacement stock bikini fairing back on but tried to put a aftermarket (cheaper) medium/small sized windshield on.

This is the windshield I was looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270621717483&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Apparently it WILL fit, but its a matter of how ugly the bike will look with this windshield mounted with no fairing.

The gauge cluster is angled so much that a lot of wires and the back of the cluster is VERY exposed as well as around the headlight and tonnes of other wires visible if i don't have the original fairing on.

Does anyone know of someone that has done this? or any pictures on the internet of this?

I would love to see what it looks like.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

I still have the old Bikini fairing but it is cracked pretty bad. Is that worth trying to repair? and if so where and who would do it?

I do see that the Honda CX 650 E store on ebay has a fairing in stock but that price is just too much for me. I have bought my RR indicator from him.. 60 bucks after shipping (nationally)

The whole bike was only 1400 bucks, (no decals, terrible tremclad paint job) and I've already put 300 into the repairs and just can't bring myself to spend another 270 on a fairing especially when I was planning on using what little money I have left over to give the bike a decent paint job this winter.

Any ideas/suggestions guys?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan in Ontario

·
Registered
993 Posts
Jonathan,

There's a good thread on the SOHC/4 forum about repairing fairings and plastic body work. The guy who did it paints houses for a living and has just gone back to school. He's into bikes and his girlfriend's crotch rocket had broken/cracked bodywork. He goes over the 2 part repair material and does a nice how to with plenty of pictures. If you are willing to invest the time and effort and it's all there, then you can repair the fairing.

Shall I see if I can dig up the thread and then you can join the forum and read everything and post questions.

The SOHC/4 Forums have an other bike area and are a good community of support.

Or you could ask if the guy has time to do it and see if the price is affordable.

If you go with the front fairing/windscreen...the spitfire is pretty small.

Some Cable loom might make it look a little better, it comes in different sizes...and it will provide a little weather protection for the harness wiring as well as UV protection for the tape or plastic for the harness.

David

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow,

I didn't even know this was possible.

I checked out that thread and that really is pretty amazing. That guy is talented.

Only problem is the kit to buy that he used to do the plastics is 230 dollars.

It's a great idea though, if I was doing the plastics on the whole bike it would totally be worth it.

Thanks for the tip.

Anyone else have any pictures of a cx650 E stripped of the bikini fairing with a aftermarket windshield on it.

I know the windshield I'm looking at is only 15 inch in height but the original bikini fairing is not much better.

I have already taken stones/pebbles dinged off my helmet a couple times with the original fairing, thank god for full-face helmet.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Jonathan,

The CB1100F has the same bikini fairing. They pop up on e-bay more often than CX650E fairings.

The color scheme is different, but the bolt pattern is identical, as is the headlight frame.

(I bought a headlight frame to replace a jerry-rigged system that came with my bike.)

In fact, I still have the jerry-rigged system, if you are interested. It's a Bikini fairing from another bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oddly enough I have one of these windsheilds on my CX500. I just upgraded from a 250 virago and it had one of these when I bought it, so I swapped it over to the CX500. It works, but you're going to want a full face helmet as the top of the windshield and the angle it sits is the perfect hight to direct all the air into your face. It works for for now, but I'll be looking at getting something a bit bigger down the line. I'll try take a couple pics when I get home tonight and post it for you so you see how it's set up. It's a bit tricking to get set up just perfect too - I still have not got it just right.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey I would appreciate that if you could post pics at least it would give me some idea of appearance.

And I'm use to the wind, the Bikini fairing was not much better at all.

The big concern I have is the CX 500/650 C looks pretty good without a fairing cowl or windshield but the E all the components are angled so that they are very visible without the bikini fairing on.

I don't know maybe I'm crazy and it will look fine with just the windshield and I just took as many wires away as I can.

Thanks for the input though and pictures.

Jon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here you go. As soon as I posted I realized it would be dark when I got hope, so I popped outside and used my cell phone to take the photos. Sorry for the low quality, but this should give you an idea. I need to clean my windshield!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone else having that problem? For me the photos just show up in the post from two different computers with two differetn opperating systems & browsers. Possible computer/browser settings at your end Jonathan?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Johnathan:

I'm interested in your challenges. The pic below shows my existing bike with a slipstream windshield, placed on by the previous owner. Some cosmetic challenges here that need to be addressed, including the need to either get a "taller" windshield or somehow make this windshield stand up and punch a larger hole in the wind. I'm just a bit too tall for the existing size or slope angle to really like this. I do however like the "commuter bike look" the windshield brings...and eventually I'll replace the soft pannier bags with hard ones.

The pics immediately following this one are ones I found on the internet that I aspire towards. The first being what I'll call the original stock bike - including the hard bags which make this bike look more "touring", the other pic shows a fairing (which if you know where to find one I'd appreciate any information) that seems to be asthetically pleasing. I'd like to have all three options available to me. So, it may be a long winter!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ asgardian

I can see the pictures on my home computer. You were right, it must have been a browser problem as I was on my work computer looking the first time.

Thanks for the pictures I quite likely will get the exact same shield you have and try it out..

The bikini fairing never provided enough wind protection. It may not be a tonne more wind protection with this new shield but it will be more protection than the stock bikini fairing.

I appreciate you posting the pics.

@ Johnny,

That windshield you are using looks good too. Just curious what are the dimensions of that shield?

Do you have any pictures of what it looks like without the bikini fairing on the bike but JUST the windshield?

I plan on doing this.

I'm a pretty tall guy too (6ft) and I was always tired of the bikini fairing because of the lack of protection so it's hard for me to replace it when it costs so much and I never even enjoyed its use (but it did look good cosmetically).

Definitely keep looking on e-bay and or even salvage yards because I believe there are quite a few fairings that offer better protection that would be adaptable to our bikes with some minor tweaking and still look pretty good (better than just a huge windshield)

Even a GL fairing would look alright but that might be expensive...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Jonathan:

Like yourself, I'm 6' too...mostly in my back, so I tend to sit "taller" than most 6-footer's. I don't know the dimentions of the existing Slipstream windshield, but I'll get to it this weekend. I don't have any pics other than this one, nor do I have a pic of the bike with the windshield, but without the mini-fairing. I don't actually think it would look good (without the mini-fairing) anyway, IMO.

I've got a friend's BMW 1150 RT that I'm hoping to sell for him. It has the electronically adjustable windshield. What I've learned is that the wind protection increases as you move the windshield to a more vertical position. So, with my bike I've got to somehow get a different mounting set up to allow for a more vertical windscreen. I might not need a different of larger windshield, just mount it differently.

JC

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
A member here, Sidecarbob, has created a 650E "I", albeit with a sidecar rig.

My suggestion is to find an old fairing and try that.

That will extend the Canadian riding season a bit.

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
Here you go. As soon as I posted I realized it would be dark when I got hope, so I popped outside and used my cell phone to take the photos. Sorry for the low quality, but this should give you an idea. I need to clean my windshield!

This picture is interesting.....I have a SlipStreamer,not sure of the model, that uses the same hardware mounts. However, yours are reversed from the way I have mine set up, the windshield down rod comes through the handlebar mount on the drivers side, not to the front. That gave me a lot more flexibility in setting the angle of the shield. My shield is a bit taller and fuller than the Spitfire. I'll snag a pic.

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
I forgot to add that my hardware has suffered discoloring from weathering and sun. Also, my tighteners got snapped off, so the hex bolts I have are starting to rust up too. The first pic is from today, where the second is from several years ago right after I bought the shield. I figure that's going to be something down the road a bit, but easy enough to do.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanx Rampart06 for posting the pics. The spitfire was originally installed on my Virago the way you have yours now, but when I went to put it on the CX500 the same way, the windshield sat over the dash (as in it covered the instrument panel on the wrong side) - so that was not going to work for me :) I think the spitfire is a bit small for the CX and once I have a bit more cash I will be seriously looking at something that works a bit better - but first I need waterproof boots. The rains are coming and I need to ride!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts