Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My filter had a family of mice in it. The only OEM filter I can find is on E-vil-bay for about $100 from Germany. I couldn't find any threads here about where to find these unique items.

I think I can use an auto filter and replace the element in the metal housing. I boiled the old filter in water to soften the glue and this is what I end up with after a bunch of scraping:

IMG_20150212_090717_114.jpg IMG_20150212_182101_796.jpg IMG_20150212_182115_024.jpg

The glue seems like some kind of construction adhesive, except the glue holding the gasket in place seems like rubber cement. I may try hot glue or some kind of construction adhesive that seems right. Any suggestions appreciated.

I could go to PODS or similar, but I want to keep the OEM airbox. I do not understand why the CX series filter the air from the inside of the filter. That makes the filters more prone to clogging and more difficult to clean.

Any advice or suggestions on re-using the metal housing? Any way to modify the airbox to accept a standard auto filter type?

Thanks in advance to all.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Picked mine up from Honda.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just get a pleated paper automotive filter some

Right Stuff automotive sealant and put it back together.

Might work just fine.

Get a backup or 2 they wont get easier to find.

·
Super Moderator
14,548 Posts
I replaced the paper element in Eccles' air filter with 2 layer foam from these guys RamAir eBay store - click on Universal Air Filters and look for the size of DIY pad closest to what you need. I cut down a 300 x 200 but the CX650E has a cylindrical filter like the GL650. Don't forget that foam filters need to be oiled...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Just reading the latest issue of Old Bike Australia , and see an advertisement from Unifilter who have a filter cover to fit the cage on a CB500 , so should be able to make a cover for the CX650 filter cage. I had them make me some filters for a BSA dirtbike I built in a previous life so they can make all sorts of foam filters. Try emailing Myles Gooch at [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts