Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So late 2016 i picked up a cx500 custom for cheeaaap, and I got it running alright. A week later, i discovered that honda made a turbo model, searched and searched on craigslist and i found a cx500 turbo for $200 and it had 1,800 original miles :D:D lol the wheels were rotted out and the frame was crusty, just about everything on the frame needed to be cleaned or replaced. BUT the motor was solid and every electronic piece was there. I picked it up, brought it home and imediatly started tearing it apart. Took the motor out, cleaned it up, and "threw" the turbo motor in place of the old custom's motor. So far it has been great, no major issues except the fuel pump was seized (probably because the gas inside of it was 18 years old) :rolleyes: So this is my bike and the journey so far... Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Engine Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Motor vehicle Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Pipe Engine Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Automotive engine part Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Auto part Wheel Rim Automotive wheel system Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Engine Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive engine part Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Auto part Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Transport Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle Tire

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
What year Custom CX frame is this? It's been noted that the swap won't work, so if you have the solution, it might be interesting to see.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
It'll all swap, if you can find a place to put everything.
However, the frame isn't designed to hold the extra weight, and the suspension is definitely not up to it. Brakes either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you add a second exhaust pipe for the wastegate?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ramprat06 its a '81 frame with '82 motor. The motor bolts right up, and the drive shaft slips right in. As for the front motor mount, you would either need to modify it to work with the frame, or you modify the frame to work with the mount.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
murrayf It seems like youre just jealous, What else would you do if you had a good turbo motor just laying around? And what extra weight are you talking about? the motor is almost identical except for the turbo and exhaust. Not much extra weight.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
murrayf It seems like youre just jealous, What else would you do if you had a good turbo motor just laying around? And what extra weight are you talking about? the motor is almost identical except for the turbo and exhaust. Not much extra weight.

Honda's official figure is that the motor is 11kg heavier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honda's official figure is that the motor is 11kg heavier.[/QUOTE]

24 pounds heavier, I stand corrected. The bike will definitely fold in half now

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the bike is almost done (just wrapping up some little things here and there). Bike runs better than ever expected, I love the feeling when boost kicks in. I have updated the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and installed a blow off valve. Can't wait to ride this thing around this summer!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts