Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1979 cx500 that I purchased in August. I am enjoying the bike and just received my collector plates (in Canada...bike 25 years or older ) and my yearly insurance is around $130 Canadian. Quick question ( hope it's not too dumb ) other than a noisy rear break and a 110 front tire (too big ) the bike is running fine. I do feel however that the seat height is a bit too tall, as i am only 5"'4" tall with a very short 27 inch inseam. Is it possible to get my seat cut down a bit. I was wondering because of the age of the bike and the old vinyl if the seat cover can even be removed. If any one has down this modification or has any suggestions that would be great. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I,ve read that some CXers have gone to shorter rear shocks. Also the front fork tubes can be clamped slightly lower. Any auto uhpolstery shop can should be able to re-cover a bike saddle.

The stock saddle cover is made in panels... if you go to a smoother rounded profile, one piece of material should do it.

My Seamster Bud uses an electric carving knife and a rasp to shape foam for saddles. He charges between $80 and WTF
to recover bike seats... ( usually around $100
)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You aren´t 100 % specific about what model you have. And I don´t know what models were available in Canada 1979.

If your bike is a CX 500 Custom model, I believe you have to consider reshaping the seat, if shorter schocks won´t do the job.

If you have a CX 500 standard or Deluxe model you could get a seat for a1980 or 1981 CX 500 Deluxe model.

The 1979 Deluxe had the same "sofa" as the 1978 - 1982 standard models.

1980 - 1981 Deluxe models had a more stepped seat, with a narrower front section.

Together with my -81 standard models I owned an 1980 Deluxe some years ago. There was a clear difference between seats. Also riding poisitons, but that was mainly due to different handlebars. (I didn´t like it at all).

I´m 5.8 with an inseam (jeans) of 30. I have no problems at all getting my feet on the ground on my standard models. On the Deluxe is was easier still.

Sture

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
To echo Jeffs post.

I seem to recall Rob davis among others used to clamp his front

forks lower and I knew a lass who used shorter Hagon rear shocks on her Custom as well

We're all different shapes and sizes, I happen to be 6'3" so

it isnt an issue with me but I did discover another tweak by accident.

I modified a GRP base and foam and found having the foam narrower at the front

meant anyone who rode it and didnt have long legs, found it easier to reach the floor.

Its pretty important really as if you feel you're struggling with the bike at low speeds

shunting it about to park etc

you cant really relax and enjoy it so doing few mods is a good idea.

Its not just the CX BTW, I know BMW K riders who seek out lower seats and its probably an issue with many others too.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
IMO go to a motorcycle wrecker and see if you can find an old seat, covering condition not important and either redo it

yourself or have it done professionaly. If you narrow the foam a bit and reduce the thickness, I am willing to guess you

could gain 2-3" of reach.

I have seen the 79 Custom seats here at the wreckers for about $40.00 asking price.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
IMO go to a motorcycle wrecker and see if you can find an old seat, covering condition not important and either redo it

yourself or have it done professionaly. If you narrow the foam a bit and reduce the thickness, I am willing to guess you

could gain 2-3" of reach.

I have seen the 79 Custom seats here at the wreckers for about $40.00 asking price.

Good luck

Not a Bad Idea... Disclaimer: I work (part time) with a salvage yard...
I will sell you my old one for 25 bucks and shipping. It needs some repair on the pan (metal work) and it's cover is coming off. It would make a nice experimenter or second.

I wanted to add, If you loosen your rear shocks to their softest setting, just your sitting on it might lower the bike considerably. You may not like the way it makes the bike handle though... I call it my BUS ride.

My inseam is 30 or 31 depending on how long I've been vertical. I'm more than flat footed on the ground seated at a stop.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Why is it that with my 30" inseam that I can place both feet firmly on the ground on my '79 Custom?

Rear shocks are origninal, low mileage bike and they're set to mid-point.

I will have to admit that after all the dirt bikes, with some of them only allowing a tippy-toe on the ground at a stop, I sure like being able to plant both of them at an intersection.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I think the CX's at least the Customs have an "identity" crisis:

It looks like a cruiser but it's more comfortable riding in a straight up or even slightly forward riding position like a standard.

It seems as though it's made for a tall person cuz it seems anyone under 5'10" roughly has a tough time touching the ground HOWEVER the pegs are not far enough down or forward enough for the taller person making it seem like it was made for a short person.

I guess Honda was trying to please everyone in one bike

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You find the right shop and you'll be taken care of. A simple inch off each side might make what feels like 6" of difference.

Costs a couple of $ but what doesn't on these? I just bit the bullet, paid for what I wanted and I have it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts