Honda CX 500 Forum banner
141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,260 Posts
If Hovel head gaskets I would cross my fingers and do a retorque. You may get lucky.

Ebay head gaskets never stop leaking coolant once they've started as the material resembles papiermache.

But these might play the game for you.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,231 Posts
You should see oil coming from this joint before coolant. Are you sure it's not running down from the coolant pipe above?

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
You should see oil coming from this joint before coolant. Are you sure it's not running down from the coolant pipe above?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Audio equipment Rim

100% sure it’s coming from here and not the pipe. It’s hard to tell if it’s coolant or oil but it’s wet.

Going to work this morning, the bike started to behave strangely, like back firing. I thought I was running out of gas and put the reserve on. But it kept doing it even more, almost like the bike was dying and ended up stalling.

I had to push it for an hour and 20 minutes to the shop 😓, I knew something was wrong with the stator/regulator/solenoid.

My wife brought me the battery charger and a voltmeter, and yes solenoid had a false contact so it stopped charging the battery and as I have a Rae San, ignition wasn’t getting powered anymore !

Quick fix but pushing the bike was a pain in the a**

·
Super Moderator
23,260 Posts
The bulge in the head right there where you say the liquid is coming from is the oil drain from the top back to the bottom of the motor so if anything is coming from there it should be oil.

Sometimes small leaks occur between retorques.

Retorque. Loosen all bolts one flat including the 2 small ones at the top. Retorque the bolts starting with the bolt closest to the oil leak and it may take up. Retorque the two small bolts last.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
The bulge in the head right there where you say the liquid is coming from is the oil drain from the top back to the bottom of the motor so if anything is coming from there it should be oil.

Sometimes small leaks occur between retorques.

Retorque. Loosen all bolts one flat including the 2 small ones at the top. Retorque the bolts starting with the bolt closest to the oil leak and it may take up. Retorque the two small bolts last.
Interesting..
It’s still the head gasket to blame I believe so retorque is on the schedule for the WE !

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Hey there !

Retorqued the head cylinder bolts this weekend, as well as re adjusted valves and cam chain.

I had done that when I opened the engine but since I put some miles on it since I figured it would be nice.

Leak is still there but even less, it’s definitely minor now so I hope it keeps going in that direction.

I shortened my clutch cable that was over hanging the top of my headlight !

Not sure if I’m crazy but I feel like the bike is running better and than the sound when I pull the throttle is slightly different, like deeper ! Very happy overall with the back, she is my daily commute and really nice to ride.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 · (Edited)
The upholstered seat is finally done !
I replaced the red front brake lines by more discret braided lines.

So far I’m considering the bike done and I will make nice pictures when I can. Moving back to France, I’ll take it with me, it’s going to cost me $$ to ship it because of Covid but I don’t want to sell it after all the work done !

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
23,260 Posts
Cool.

Added to completed builds.

(y) (y) (y)

141 - 153 of 153 Posts