Honda CX 500 Forum banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
so it wouldn't be any fun if it just all worked out the first time with no issues? :oops:
For sure !
I’m glad it’s not the mech seal though.. that would have been very painful !
I ordered 3 water pump gaskets for safety :)

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,853 Posts
Install only one, or you'll have more trouble! :p

Reactions: Garymga

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
She is ALIVE !

I finished the wiring today (need to put the horn and the water temp gauge).

I connected the Murray’s carbs received on Saturday and I tried to fire it up.

She started real quick, more than one year after tearing down the engine. Idling perfect, both cylinders firing, the dream !

I have a Rae San 12V conversion hall, G8 stator, Murray’s carb, Nuut Morty unit as the brain of the bike. Iridium spark plug and HD style coil.
Soon I’ll be on the road !
Cx500 fist start
First idling

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
Worked on the bike today and I have a leak at the pipe going to the water pump.

I remember having difficulty to fit in with the new O-ring. When I changed (again) the water pump gasket the Oring stayed inside and I pushed back the pipe.

Maybe I should have take it out and slip it around the pipe before putting it back into the water pump housing.

Any experienced tip?
Thx

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,068 Posts
Several schools of thought on that. My preferred method is to carefully clean the opening then insert the O-ring into the water pump housing pushing it square against the inner edge of the opening. Disconnect the radiator end of the water pipe to make it easier to push in squarely, apply a bit of brake grease to the end of the water pipe and push into place. Works for me.

Reactions: Garymga

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Thank you both of you !

Glad to read that it’s a subject not only for me.
I’ll try this afternoon to disconnect the tube from the rad, and pushing it inside better.

Hopefully no more leaks !

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
I took the chrome pipe out of the water pump housing and noticed it got pinched.

Ordered a couple new ones and will put it back carefully this time !

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
Some work got done:

- Rebuild calipers and put some new pas on the cbr 954rr front end. I wrapped the exhaust as well. Putting new copper exhaust gaskets I broke one of the exhaust stud, ordered a new one :/

-I had bought a deluxe tank from a member a year ago, was not in very good shape. I used the KBS cleaner tank products, that stuffs is great and did some job to undent the tank.
Pictures below is after primer, I used an epoxy non sandable primer and a polyester lacquer that will even all the imperfections out and be used as a sandable primer.
I still have to do the color, super jet black, and finish lacquer.

Hopefully I can get it on the road this weekend !

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Hi everyone !
Paint job is done, put everything back together.
My wife is working on the upholstery for my seat.
Couple issues (again):

- When I set up the forks with the tank I didn’t have the headlight brackets. The ones I have are too big and are knocking on the tank when I turn the handlebars. Ordered new ones.

- I have a leaking petcock. Do you guys put a gasket inside ? I bought the tank from somebody so not sure if the petcock had an issue.

-The fuel cap on top might not be an oem becauseI cannot closed the lid. The fuel cap has an edge which is not lining up with the inside lid. Any idea on this ?

Due to all this issues I couldn’t go for a test ride unfortunately.
Thanks for the feedback !

Quick tour of the bike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Hi everyone!
After a year and 5 months my build is coming to an end !

I’ve passed the inspection on Saturday and I’ve been riding it daily since then, fixing few details like oil leaks, tightening the fork..

So far I’m commuting to work, she is starting great and running great. I have Murray’s carb and a Rae san 12V conversion hall.

With the two cone Engineering mufflers she is louuuuud !

I feel like on the highway the clutch slips, when I rebuilt the engine discs were good so I ordered a set of new spring from EBC.

My wife still has to finish the upholstery and the bike will be 100% done !

It feels great to finally ride it and enjoy the work done !

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Plant Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

121 - 133 of 133 Posts