Honda CX 500 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi Garymga, when I check the internet for the ECO twin shocks, there are lots of types. It is Always followed by another code (for example
RE302-360T-22). any idea what this is in your case?
Tom

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Hi Garymga, when I check the internet for the ECO twin shocks, there are lots of types. It is Always followed by another code (for example
RE302-360T-22). any idea what this is in your case?
Tom
Tom,
See the picture with references attached,
Hope it will help you !

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Bike is out of the basement,
Transported to a better place where I can finish the project.
I did a seat pan and worked on the rear, still in process but I like where I’m heading!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Installed the rear sets from Slipstream, really good quality stuff.

Exhaust pipes from Murray have been welded, I will order two reverse coness from cone engineering and cut the pipes according to the desire length.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Dropping the frame at the shop today to be powder coated,

I can’t wait to put back the bike together and finish the project !

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hopefully they know what to tape off before they PC? Just wanted to mention it so you don't get a big surprise when you pick it up.

Cheers

Reactions: Garymga

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Yes, it is a small shop specialized in motorcycle frame.
I will go over but they’re more than familiar with taping area like bushing or final drive.
Another picture of the mufflers I got from Cone Engineering.
Can’t wait to fire it !

Hopefully they know what to tape off before they PC? Just wanted to mention it so you don't get a big surprise when you pick it up.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Those look really nice! I went to the site and saw listings for HD & Triumph, which ones did you get? If you don't mind saying, what was the approximate cost?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Hi everyone!

I got my frame back from the powder coating!
Started the assembly today.

Next weekend hopefully the wiring so I can get the engine started! Excited, I can’t wait to see how it is going to run. As a reminder I went full upgrade with:
-New startor G8
-Rae San conversion 12v
-HD style coil
-Mosfet R/R
-New Solenoid
-Nuut Morty as the brain of the bike
-Full rebuild of the carb following Larry’s book

Quadruple bypass as well so I hope all that work pays off, starting to see the finish line. Really excited!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Looking good, you've made some good progress for sure. What type of HD coil did you get? Hope you post a video when you get it running. (y)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Looking good, you've made some good progress for sure. What type of HD coil did you get? Hope you post a video when you get it running. (y)
It’s the HD style coil single fire from Biker’s choice.
Yes I will - juste order the carb sync tool for twin and a auxiliary fuel tank to tune the carbs once I get it running!

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,853 Posts
I don't think I'd be comfortable with that subframe design. When the rear suspension in compressed, the lower braces are no longer loaded in tension (like the stock design), but in bending. And the attachment to the frame cross tube, rather than the stamped steel section, needs to resist torsion/shear.
You've replaced a triangle with a trapezoid. This will be weaker than the stock system it replaced. Inspect those welds frequently.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I don't think I'd be comfortable with that subframe design. When the rear suspension in compressed, the lower braces are no longer loaded in tension (like the stock design), but in bending. And the attachment to the frame cross tube, rather than the stamped steel section, needs to resist torsion/shear.
You've replaced a triangle with a trapezoid. This will be weaker than the stock system it replaced. Inspect those welds frequently.
Thank Randall for your feedback.
I take interest in modifying things by studying and learning. That’s how I’m building my knowledge and the intersection of design/utility/reliability is definitely an area of my concerns.
That’s why maths and physics are here to help and I rely on these.
I’ll definitely check my welds frequently - trust but control -.
From what I read on this forum since I joined you are one of the older member and very active. It has been a tremendous help during my built.
I also read that you prefer a stock design than all this new trends ;)
2 different visions, that’s why you’ll ride yours and I’ll ride mine and hopefully we can ride together ^^

·
Super Moderator
5,068 Posts
Have you done FEA on your subframe design?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Hi everyone,

Quick update:

- I had a leak at the water pump. I was afraid it would be the mech seal since I replaced it amd couldn’t see if it was coming from the weep hole. Removed the carb and it was the water pump gasket that got pinched and brake when I installed the cover ! I was afraid of having to drop the engine again.

- Started the wiring, couldn’t get it to crank. First issue solved was that the manufacturer did not respect the color code following his manual so I had it wrong. When I opened the command I figured it out.
Then I had only the solenoid clicking, battery was discharged but even with a jumper it would click again. Finally realized it was a bad ground. So now I have my (-) from my battery going to the frame. Same location going to the frame to the engine. As it should be and it worked !
The picture shows a mess but I started the loom and it looks much cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
so it wouldn't be any fun if it just all worked out the first time with no issues? :oops:

101 - 120 of 133 Posts