Honda CX 500 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
If you are looking for the dowel pins which locate the water pump cover you want
PIN A, DOWEL (10X16)
94301-10160
Part #20 that nolimitz referenced earlier.
Thanks Mike,
I was unclear but I’m looking for the ones in the cylinder block where the coolant comes/goes from the cylinders. They are the 22mm collars, found discussions on the forum and even motofaction about these discontinued parts..
I think I found a tube that will match dimensions in my metal scrap bucket :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Here are pictures of head cylinder gaskets. The one with the writing is an aftermarket and the “bare” one is from Murray.
I would say they are quite similar in composition, the only thing I noticed is the metal ring is larger on the Murray’s one.
Anyway thanks to the guys on the forum who advised to stick to a good quality gasket talking from experience!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I was replacing the starter clutch spring when I noticed something on the flywheel, kind of melt parts.
Does anyone have already see that ? Any idea ?

I've also enlarged the weep hole to change the mech seal, on Friday I'm supposed to received all my o-ring so I would be able to rebuilt and paint the engine !

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Got and installed the oil pump chain,
What I figured out to get the proper slack was to push on the upper right section of the oil pump to tense the chain but to TIGHTEN the upper left side first. Doing the upper right bolt first will reduce the tense and logically give you more slack. The upper right bolt should be tighten last - following my experience.

I wanted to put back the flywheel on the other side but I've lost one of the trust washer from the reducing gear.. As it is not available anymore I found that people were selling the reducing gear, the rod and washer for really cheap on ebay. I will have to buy one of these "packs".

·
Super Moderator
21,634 Posts
You can fit the flywheel.

Fitting the starter idler {reducer} after is a little fiddly but doable. You just need a little grease and attention to keep the thrust washers in place.

Stick the thrust washer to the back of the gear and slip in from the side. Add other thrust washer.Push in idler shaft

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Hum ! I was thinking I will have to wait for these little guys to come in order to put the flywheel.
Was looking at the space and thinking no way I can fit the 2nd washer with the flywheel in !
Great I will try this ! Thx !
I’m excited I’m seeing the end of the tunnel for the engine work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Finally get rear and front cover back on the engine!
I changed all o rings, had to make myself the water collars and find oring for the manual tensioner (I have a hundred of them if someone need some), mechanical seal, cam seal, etc !
Tomorrow I will do the head cylinders ! Here some pics of the before/after !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Finally putting the head cylinders on !!!
Next step is cleaning then painting!
I like to see that V shape back in place !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
It’s been a while I haven’t posted any updates, it’s not moving as fast as I would like but really busy at work.

I painted the wheels (frankenwheel 17” and the cbr954rr front one).

Then I bought a Deluxe tank from a member, I stripped it and will have to undent it. I had a custom model so didn’t want the original tank..

And started to degrease the engine in order to paint it.

Next step is cutting the frame. I want to keep the dual shocks but I also want to redo all the back frame as I thought design can be improved.

I will have to think about creating an exhaust and when it will be time buy a m-unit.

Hope everyone is doing fine !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Hi everybody !
Hope everyone is doing fine,
I primed the engine today - using VHT can - and will do the color tomorrow.
I went for the cast iron color.
Happy with the result so far !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I got the tires mounted and balanced (+ valves) on my wheels today. I’ve been charged $150 which pisses me a little bit but I will go over it.
Precision- it was in Brooklyn and I bought the tires online.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Did you remove wheels or did the shop do it all? I generally pay $30 a tire when I bring em in.
Wheels were removed as old tires as I painted them.
The city sucks that’s all. I was expecting to pay $25 a tire. Anyway that’s what it is and now I can move forward on my build :)

61 - 80 of 97 Posts