Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sunday work !
I'm glad I took care of the front engine as there was a crazy layer of thick oil,
Remove the oil pump and clutch, cleaned them very well and put everything back with new gaskets.
Still waiting for the head gasket from Murray to arrive.
Next step is the back of the engine with starter and cam chain.
Putting everything back together and new paint for a new engine !

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
That was crazy slugged up, good thing you pulled the cover for sure!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I’m kind of in the same boat. I recently got a ‘82 CX500 with 24k miles and the timing chain looks like it’s been changed recently and it starts. I’m very tempted to go through the other needed repairs and try and ride it but after seeing your mess... How many miles does yours have on it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I’m kind of in the same boat. I recently got a ‘82 CX500 with 24k miles and the timing chain looks like it’s been changed recently and it starts. I’m very tempted to go through the other needed repairs and try and ride it but after seeing your mess... How many miles does yours have on it?
8000 miles..
Haven’t opened the rear yet but I’m curious to see how the chain looks !
I would say it also depends on the history of the bike. Mine sat 20 years in a barn so that’s why I had that mixture : D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Finally opened the rear engine this morning.
-Water pump needed a clean
-Of course I had some slug on that side either
-Didn’t have time to look closely at the chain but it doesn’t look too bad
-CDI looks ok to me
My understanding is: the guy I bought the bike from just started back the engine, tried to clean the oil through getting the engine hot and do 3/4 oil changes.
Oil pump was full of shit, engine ended up overheating, left head cylinder gasket started to fail, water got a little infiltrated. Luckily no damages and everything will be clean up and regrease !
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
I can't believe how slugged up that engine is at the bottom. Looks like the chain never got really slack because the boss & screw head opposite the tensioner isn't all chewed up, many are.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ahaha ! Yes it is a real swamp :D
From the story I have the bike was owned by a farmer who used it to go back and forth from his house to the field.. Put 8000 miles on it like that and unfortunately passed away.. That's why the bike ended up staying for years in his barn..
I have the original title so I guess I will be a happy 2nd owner.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks!
It’s just that I’ve been reading a lot of debate about it on the forum.
Some even saying that it’s also almost impossible to get the proper slack with a new chain.
And I’m over budget now so $18 won’t make a difference ^^

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hello and happy Memorial day !
Today I’ve been cleaning the rear engine section, making sure the timing was correct. I pulled out the chain guide and tensioner, engine has 8000 miles and so far the chain is in fair condition and there is no slack.
I have the manual tensioner and still plenty of room so I’m happy.

The only issue I have so far is the dowel from the water pump. I had to remove them as they were completely rusted and crushed them because it was impossible to get out.
But I’ve seen after that they’ve been discontinued from Honda.
Anyone has an idea where I can get them ?
I got the mech seal as well today so I will be able to do that also !

·
Registered
6,331 Posts

·
Registered
6,331 Posts

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
If you are looking for the dowel pins which locate the water pump cover you want
PIN A, DOWEL (10X16)
94301-10160
Part #20 that nolimitz referenced earlier.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts