Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thank you for the tip !
I think following your experience on this engine/aftermarket gasket I will go either for an OEM or on Murray’s website.
It’s time to do things right, if I had to reopen the engine 3 months after everything will be done it would be a bummer !
Good decision. I would be surprised if the aftermarket head gaskets lasted 3 months.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Head gaskets ordered from Murray’s carb website.
Still fighting to remove the old gaskets on the engine itself.
Did some valve cleaning today and not very happy about the exhaust valve who don’t look good to me, coating faded and small ding. Intake are ok tough.
Haven’t done any valve lapping yet.
What are your thoughts on that ?

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Loctite "Chisel" spray can - gasket remover - works wonders.

·
Super Moderator
4,000 Posts
Finish off with a sharpening stone that has not been used for anything else. Keep it flat on the surface to avoid rounding off edges.

Reactions: Garymga

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Finish off with a sharpening stone that has not been used for anything else. Keep it flat on the surface to avoid rounding off edges.
What grit would you use ? I tried 600 wet sans paper with a foam block on the heads and was not rough enough to get it perfect..

·
Super Moderator
4,000 Posts
I have no idea what grit my sharpening stone has.
A foam block will allow the sandpaper to round off the edges, better to use a solid sanding block

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

Did valve lapping and head cylinder cleaning with the sharpening stone thanks to Reclinedrelic advice. I bought a 240 grit from Norton and it worked really well.
So far it is looking really good as you can see before/after pics.
The gasket remover- left for a couple of days - finally worked on the engine t self and I was able with a plastic scraper to get rid of the old ones.
I ordered - once again thanks to Reclinedrelic - head gaskets from Murray. I also got some copper spray.
  • I will check measurements following the FSM and will soon be able to put head cylinders back and move to the front/back engine !

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,959 Posts
Nice work.

Have you tested them for continence?

The combustion chambers can be filled with kero to see if any runs out of the ports.

I actually use my leakdown tester and a fixture I made to pressure test at 120 PSI.

I find that I normally need to regrind a valve or two to get a 100% seal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Nice work.

Have you tested them for continence?

The combustion chambers can be filled with kero to see if any runs out of the ports.

I actually use my leakdown tester and a fixture I made to pressure test at 120 PSI.

I find that I normally need to regrind a valve or two to get a 100% seal.
Smart !
Thank you for the tip.
Definitely going to double check with kero.
Don’t have a leak down tester neither your fixture :) will have to wait for the engine rebuild and pray :))

·
Super Moderator
20,959 Posts
Any that don't seal give the stem a couple of taps with a hammer with the head supported on blocks so that they can't hit anything.

Sometimes they just need to be slammed into the seat by the spring to seal.

You should tap them all to seat the collets anyway.

Otherwise it's back out with the paste ....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Any that don't seal give the stem a couple of taps with a hammer with the head supported on blocks so that they can't hit anything.

Sometimes they just need to be slammed into the seat by the spring to seal.

You should tap them all to seat the collets anyway.

Otherwise it's back out with the paste ....
I’ve hammered them following the FSM but will redo after your trick !
Thanks again for priceless advices. This place is awesome when you’re in a project to avoid common mistakes and save time !
Back in the days when I first started dismantling moped and learned mechanic there were no forums or YouTube. It was a different fun !

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Spring cleaning this morning !
The engine definitely had a left cylinder head leaking gasket as I suspected before I started dismantling it. Not a big deal and probably just the beginning.
Waiting for Murray’s gasket to come through the mail and I will put all that back together !

Attachments

21 - 40 of 82 Posts