Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put on new grips, too short for the throttle tube. Ok to just shorten them? What could be the potential pitfalls?

·
Super Moderator
13,492 Posts
If you use shorter grips you will need to move the switch assemblies. The switch assemblies are kept from moving by a small post that engages with a hole in the handlebar (this is particularly important for the right side because without it the switch housing will turn when you twist the throttle) and if you tighten the switch assembly's screws when the post isn't in the hole you will crack the housing.
And in addition, unless you have small hands the shorter grips may not be as comfortable (it is nice to be able to move your hands around a bit without letting go).

You could drill new holes in the handlebars and cut the throttle sleeve but if it was me I'd buy the right size grips.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've cut down the throttle tube on both my current bikes, it was a marginal adjustment in both cases. My GL switch assembly had a locating pin but my CX does not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember having a location pin on my old CB but I haven’t seen any on the cx, will have another look. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
13,492 Posts
Some models have it and some don't (think everything after a certain date when they realized it was a good idea).

Please remember that 1) I can't remember all of the variations between bikes made for various markets and 2) until you referred to "the cx" in your last post there was nothing in this thread to tell us which model you have. That's why we ask members to add their bike's model and model year to their signature (so you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget).
It is also recommended to add your location to your profile because there could be a member near you who can help you in person (once the emergency is over and people can start doing that again).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why we ask members to add their bike's model and model year to their signature (so you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget).
It is also recommended to add your location to your profile because there could be a member near you who can help you in person (once the emergency is over and people can start doing that again).
Done, sorry about that. Being Norwegian it's seldom someone "near by" to help unless you're in our capital :) Anyway, thanks for all the replies, it's really appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
13,492 Posts
I know we've had members in Norway in the past and there's at least one member there now (you) so you never know :rolleyes:
You're not too far from Sweden either and I know we have a few members there, not exactly in the next town down the road but not so far that getting together would never be possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're not too far from Sweden either and I know we have a few members there, not exactly in the next town down the road but not so far that getting together would never be possible.

True, if you look at it in a straight line ;) Thanks for all the input. Will be cutting the tube, I'm done buing more parts for this "cheap" build ;) Last night I realised that my exhaust will hit the newly bought licence plate holder, so no more parts for this gentleman (after buying shorty exhaust of course). Thanks again for all the input, really appreciate it.

Ps. No pin in the control housing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts