Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
have you checked your coil connection (cleaned them up) also check your ground connections. which cyl had low comporession?
Which ground connections? Also it has a new aftermarket coil and plug wires

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not entirely sure with the gl but under the seat for my cx - also have you checked to see that u didn’t accidentally swap the high & low speed needles in the carb..? I think it’s easy to do in these carbs..& i would guess you would probably have similar symptoms if u did.

·
Super Moderator
14,016 Posts
Once again I have merged your new thread with the old ones. Please stop starting a new thread every time you come back to this problem. If you feel that your thread has been sitting too long without an answer and has moved too far down the list bump it (simply add a reply with the word "bump" to move it back to the top of the list.

And as I asked before, please take the few minutes to add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

When you checked the resistance of the pulse generators were they hot or cold? It is pretty common for them to work when cool but cut out when hot when they begin to fail...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Once again I have merged your new thread with the old ones. Please stop starting a new thread every time you come back to this problem. If you feel that your thread has been sitting too long without an answer and has moved too far down the list bump it (simply add a reply with the word "bump" to move it back to the top of the list.

And as I asked before, please take the few minutes to add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

When you checked the resistance of the pulse generators were they hot or cold? It is pretty common for them to work when cool but cut out when hot when they begin to fail...
Ok i will be sure to do that. And they were cold.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
missing rubber plug over the slow jet ?
jets in the carbs wrong big carb smaller in the brass?
The jets are in how ever the previous owner had them. I'll check if they are in correct when i get home after work

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Not entirely sure with the gl but under the seat for my cx - also have you checked to see that u didn’t accidentally swap the high & low speed needles in the carb..? I think it’s easy to do in these carbs..& i would guess you would probably have similar symptoms if u did.
How do you check the needles? Im an efi guy i dont know jack about carbs really

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

How many ohms are they supposed to be?

·
Super Moderator
14,016 Posts
I think he means the high and low speed jets. These carbs only have 2 needles, one attached to the slide and the other in the float valve so you couldn't get them reversed.

The procedure for testing the pulse generators is in the FSM. If you haven't already done so go to the CX Wiki and get it now and read through the sections related to the parts you are working on.

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
Hi, Adam. Where are you in MN, and where will you be at school? There are lot's of us around, so you might find some hands-on help.
You said that you rejetted. What was that based on? Often there's a lot of trial and error involved in getting it right for a particular intake and exhaust set up.
How does it behave if you refit the stock coils? A $45 coil pack marketed for HDs, where prices is grossly inflated, doesn't inspire much confidence. Why the change? Were the stock coils failing, or just "newer is better?"
I've got stock coils and igniters you could try, if you're nearby.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hi, Adam. Where are you in MN, and where will you be at school? There are lot's of us around, so you might find some hands-on help.
You said that you rejetted. What was that based on? Often there's a lot of trial and error involved in getting it right for a particular intake and exhaust set up.
How does it behave if you refit the stock coils? A $45 coil pack marketed for HDs, where prices is grossly inflated, doesn't inspire much confidence. Why the change? Were the stock coils failing, or just "newer is better?"
I've got stock coils and igniters you could try, if you're nearby.
Im going to school in south dakota. But right now i live kinda near st cloud. I ohm tested the stock coils and they were basically junk so i bought a new coil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar issue with a BMW I own. After considering a lot of other possibilities, I took the gas tank off, removed the petcocks and discovered they (two on that bike) we significantly plugged. Apparently to the point that at high RPM (using more fuel) the motor was not getting enough fuel to run properly.

·
Super Moderator
14,016 Posts
That has me thinking. Adam, is your new petcock a vacuum type like the original? If so did you also replace the vacuum line to it? I'm thinking that a cracked or otherwise leaking vacuum line might keep the vacuum valve from opening far enough to supply enough fuel at higher RPM...

But I'm still leaning toward a pulse generator failure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
That has me thinking. Adam, is your new petcock a vacuum type like the original? If so did you also replace the vacuum line to it? I'm thinking that a cracked or otherwise leaking vacuum line might keep the vacuum valve from opening far enough to supply enough fuel at higher RPM...

But I'm still leaning toward a pulse generator failure.
Yes i replaced the petcock and it has a new vacuum line going into it. Thanks

41 - 60 of 62 Posts