Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a 1982 gl500. Ive cleaned carbs countless times, had multiple people look at it. I've ohmed out TAI system, I've hooked up a timing light and the timing advances. Rebuilt motor, done everything i can possibly think of I've been running it with no air filter. It will quit running on 2 cylinders after around 5k rpm. Doesn't get up to 5k rpm very fast either. Has a new petcock too

·
Super Moderator
14,013 Posts
I have merged your threads. Please don't post multiple threads about the same problem as it only causes confusion when people answer in both places.

And please take the few minutes to add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year to your signature.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ive done everything i can think of to my 82 gl500 and it wont go over 5k rpm. At 5k the right cylinder quits firing. Ive done the carbs as well as i know carbs. Hooked up timing light. Rebuilt engine due to low compression. Done everything i know and am having issues. Its been a 7 month struggle. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
3,873 Posts
Ive done everything i can think of to my 82 gl500 and it wont go over 5k rpm. At 5k the right cylinder quits firing.
Is this happening while riding or are these observations made with the bike in neutral in the shop? How are you determining that the right cylinder is the one cutting out at 5000 rpm?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
do a pulse gen resistance test 530 plus or minus 60 as per the fsm

swap igniters leads around see if the problem moves

swap the coils from side to side

swap the spark plug caps side to side
Ive done all that. Problem stays on right cyl

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is this happening while riding or are these observations made with the bike in neutral in the shop? How are you determining that the right cylinder is the one cutting out at 5000 rpm?
While riding. If i pull tge right side spark plug cap while riding it continues doing what it's doing

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just went through the forum search with this being a very common issue to cdi ignitions as they have a high speed and low speed windings on the stator - the high speed winding could be your issue

·
Super Moderator
3,873 Posts
The fact that the cylinder is dropping out under load is suggestive of a weak spark.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I just went through the forum search with this being a very common issue to cdi ignitions as they have a high speed and low speed windings on the stator - the high speed winding could be your issue
My bike has tai ignition not cdi

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
GLs are TI.

A poor spark causes sooty plugs.. Not just mixture issues.
I ohmed out the ti system and it was good and it has a new coil. Is there any other way it could be weak spark?
Also it does smell very rich

·
Super Moderator
3,873 Posts
At 5000 rpm and not firing I would expect it to smell rich.

·
Registered
21 Posts
have you checked your coil connection (cleaned them up) also check your ground connections. which cyl had low comporession?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
have you checked your coil connection (cleaned them up) also check your ground connections. which cyl had low comporession?
The right cylinder had low compression then i rebuilt it now it has good compression

21 - 40 of 62 Posts