Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I had decided some time ago to do something different with one of the Customs that I had. The ideas were rolling round my head for a long time so this winter I have to put them into action before I go mad.

What Im thinking is a mix between a bobber, raked out chopper and a low rider type of thing. You guys in the states do alot more of this sort of thing than the guys over here. I have had much inspiration for this site in the past and more recently. Doward was the one who gave me the idea of the Magna front end. So thats what Im using, but I will have to rake out the front a small bit to level the bike.

As I am a draughtsman and handy with Autocad 3d, I have taken alot of measurements and made a 3d model.

Below are some sketches and models.

THe drawing below is at 15degrees from horizontal.

THe triangular plates I already have. I had them profiled for my vfr in stainless and never fitted them. The rest I will make in light steel first to test the theory.

This is the frame with the magna front end.

The rear end with a fender off ebay.

I got a rear shock off ebay. Then I logged in here tonite and guess what I read. An sv650 shock is too light. You guessed it - what did I buy - yeah, an sv650 shock. Well Im going to give it a try first.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm jealous of your CAD ability. I have to do my 3D CAD in my head. Looks good thus far, I'd like to be there to help drink some Guinness ..oh yeah and do some welding too. Is this Prolink the Modern one like on the CBR's without an upper mounting point on the frame? I want to do that on a two stroke roadrace bike.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I'm jealous of your CAD ability. I have to do my 3D CAD in my head. Looks good thus far, I'd like to be there to help drink some Guinness ..oh yeah and do some welding too. Is this Prolink the Modern one like on the CBR's without an upper mounting point on the frame? I want to do that on a two stroke roadrace bike.

Cheers, 50gary

I'd like to be there just to not be here.... LOL

My Chicago Bears just started.......... typing and watching....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Cheers, 50gary

I have been at the CAD for 20 years Gary. So I reckoned I should put it to use for myself.

I would like you to be here to do some welding, then when you were finished I would give you some guinness

This porolink is like the CBR's the one your thinking of is the "unit pro link". I just hope it works.

I need to get myself some material to make a mock up.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
It looks like if you could increase the angle of the shock a little more, it wouldn't be hard to conceal it to give the bike the clean look of a hardtail without breaking your tail while riding.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like if you could increase the angle of the shock a little more, it wouldn't be hard to conceal it to give the bike the clean look of a hardtail without breaking your tail while riding.

Cobram, thats exactly the comments I was looking to get. When you say increase the angle of the shock, which direction do you mean.

Dont forget the battery and electrics will be in there somewhere as well. I do want the bike to look like a hardtail. A hardtail wouldnt work here though as the roads are not good enough.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Judging by the first two line drawings I can't see how the the shock could tilt much more forward without interferring with the backbone tube? When increasing shock angle(spring) you slow down the action and reduce the wheel rate of the spring. Do you know the ratio of the ProLink linkage? I think 90' to the arc of the linkage is probably best for the suspension but perhaps not to your eye?

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.