Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to see about getting the items to build my own throttle and clutch cables.... problem is, I can't seem to find anywhere to buy the cables and ends! Ideas?

·
Registered
762 Posts
+1 on motion pro

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I have cut down a cable or two, and it isn't that hard to do. I think Larry also had a post awhile back on doing it. I would cut the outer cable to the length I wanted, then just burn out the plastic inside the ferrule and pull it off. Take your existing end of the inner cable and put the end in a vise. Then using a Vise Grip to grab the cable, pry the old cable out of the end piece using the jaws of the vise and the Vise Grip as a fulcrum. Clean up the old hole with a drill bit. Then use a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut the cable the length you want it. Done carefully, it won't fray much. Maybe holding the good end in a Vise Grip and cutting close will help. Then insert the cable into the end piece, you did allow for a little overage when you cut the inner cable, didn't you? Then fan the end of the poked thru cable and clean up with soldering flux. A lot of these cables have oil/grease embedded in them that doesn't take solder. I use silver solder for these, but regular solder should work fine too. When you get a good bond, remove the excess from the end piece and you're done. Try not to overheat the inner cable, it tends to burn if gotten too hot. Remember to slide the inner cable in before soldering. Ask me how I know that?

You can repair clutch and throttle cables by using a inner cable from the hardware store and cut and solder to the correct length.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have cut down a cable or two, and it isn't that hard to do. I think Larry also had a post awhile back on doing it. I would cut the outer cable to the length I wanted, then just burn out the plastic inside the ferrule and pull it off. Take your existing end of the inner cable and put the end in a vise. Then using a Vise Grip to grab the cable, pry the old cable out of the end piece using the jaws of the vise and the Vise Grip as a fulcrum. Clean up the old hole with a drill bit. Then use a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut the cable the length you want it. Done carefully, it won't fray much. Maybe holding the good end in a Vise Grip and cutting close will help. Then insert the cable into the end piece, you did allow for a little overage when you cut the inner cable, didn't you? Then fan the end of the poked thru cable and clean up with soldering flux. A lot of these cables have oil/grease embedded in them that doesn't take solder. I use silver solder for these, but regular solder should work fine too. When you get a good bond, remove the excess from the end piece and you're done. Try not to overheat the inner cable, it tends to burn if gotten too hot. Remember to slide the inner cable in before soldering. Ask me how I know that?

You can repair clutch and throttle cables by using a inner cable from the hardware store and cut and solder to the correct length.

The end of the cable is currently a ball that I soldered onto.

What I had were 2 clutch cables, one much longer than the other, the shorter cable had a nasty inner cable.

I cut both cable ends off, put the longer inner cable into the shorter outer cable, put the ball end on (then used my center punch to 'flare' the end of the cable) - a bit of silver solder later, and I had a great cable!

The problem is, now that I've got MUCH shorter bars on, the cable is once more too long.

Didn't think of burning the plastic out of the old ferrule! I'll be doing that this weekend for certain!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm just thinkin' if you went from the buckhorn bars to some normal ones you might want all new cables. Any one done this? How much does it cost?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts