Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the clutch spring swap to replace what I assume were the original springs. Those measured 32.9 mm (FSM says service limit is 32.5). I purchased the EBC CSK41 spring kit (with six springs) and they measure 36.0 mm. The online spec for the CSK41 springs say they're 34 mm. Did I get mis-packaged springs? Or should I adjust the torque to accommodate? I was expecting the new springs to alleviate high RPM slipping but they (along with new friction disks) didn't help.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
There should be no change in the torque on the clutch bolts. They bottom out before the springs are fully compressed.

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't adjust the torque to compensate. Tighten the 4 bolts 6 - 9 ft/lb or it may end in tears.
Thanks. They’re torqued to spec, but the magic of new springs has not solved the slipping like it has for so many others on the forum. I read that a few years ago they were mis-packaging these springs.

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There should be no change in the torque on the clutch bolts. They bottom out before the springs are fully compressed.
That’s what I thought, and that’s what I recall from the reassembly, but reading this forum has thrown up some … confusing takes on how these springs are supposed to work.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
If your springs are longer than spec, it should not increase slippage. Do you have the specified amount of free play at the clutch lever?

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
I just measured a couple of new CSK 41 springs that I have here. Mine measured 34 mm.

As Randall just said, extra length should put more pressure on the clutch so shouldn't be a reason for the clutch to slip.

Or the adjustment is wrong. You do have both lower cable nuts above the mounting point on the front cover and not one above and one below?

Maybe the friction plates are actually worn?

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
If they were mispackaged, you might have longer springs of a lower rating. Do they appear thinner than what they replaced?

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just measured a couple of new CSK 41 springs that I have here. Mine measured 34 mm.

As Randall just said, extra length should put more pressure on the clutch so shouldn't be a reason for the clutch to slip.

Or the adjustment is wrong. You do have both lower cable nuts above the mounting point on the front cover and not one above and one below?

Maybe the friction plates are actually worn?
I've been through every thread on here that I can find with "clutch slip" in it, and have followed all of the reliable-sounding advice I've found with the exception of a new clutch cable, which is on its way from Motion Pro.

So, new EBC springs and friction disks, adjuster nuts are in the right place, free play is per FSM. Cable is lubed and properly routed but is of course 40 years old.

The clutch plates did have a little brown staining on them that I didn't clean off. I'm going back in soon so I will double check their condition among other things.

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
have you measured the assembled clutch pack thickness ? is it in spec
I to have had ebc packaging wrong you have to be careful to check when you install
The clutch pack thickness, measured as shown below from first to last friction disk, is 32.4 mm.

HOWEVER, it seems as though a complete oil change has done the trick. Either that or completely disassembling and reassembling the clutch had some magical effect. The previous owner had changed the oil, presumably with the Honda GN4 he gave me a partial quart of, but who knows what else was in there.

One change I made in the clutch was to gently scrub some of the discoloration on the steel plates (second photo). I'm not sure if y'all think I should replace them, but I checked for warpage (none) and I cleaned them up with some Scotchbrite.

She was real zippy on the test ride after I put it all back together.

Crosscut saw Ruler Tool Font Material property

Wood Plant Gas Circle Automotive tire

·
Registered
24,569 Posts
those have been heated up good ! when I'm looking at the picture I can see just a bit of the clutch basket and mind you I have old eyes
but the edge I can see looks a little notchy do you have any better pictures or do you know its ok?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts