Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So assuming that I ever get the wrenches out of my head and get the bike put together correctly, what would the pitfalls be of taking a cross country trip over 3 weeks this summer. I can't bank all of my vacation days and thought a motorcycle trip would be a great way to spend it.

If you've read any of my previous posts, I have/had the engine out to fix the starter clutch. Cam chain is good, although this trip will definitely wind the clock forward on that one. New tires front and back.

What would be some of the problems that could arise on such a trip? That is to say, is there anything I need to be aware of/pay attention to to keep from breaking down in Kansas.

I usually ride with a basic toolkit in my trunk. I'd take extra clutch and throttle cables, plugs and fuses. I live in Michigan so I usually ride with rain gear stashed somewhere.

Any suggestion on what to take and what to work on/be careful about?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
As long as your bike is in good physical and running condition there should be no problem there.

I would strap on a liter of gas in a MSR bottle just in case gas isn't the closest thing on the road.

Always plan an extra day or two in your travels in case something happens like weather.

But before going anywhere I would put some major miles on around michigan to shake out any hidden problem.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
With the new gas prices also figure on having a lot of money. It cost me $14 to fill my GL500 yesterday!

Other than that, it is usually more fun if you don't have definite plans, but rather a general idea of where you want to go and what you want to see.

Take half the clothes and twice the money and everything will work out. Have fun!

·
Registered
227 Posts
A credit card with some room left on it, a digital camera, a fully charged cell phone plus charger with a list of potential saviors who own a trailer on speed dial. That and pack your common sense, a sense of adventure and sense of humor.

What can go wrong? Heck, on a 30 year old bike what can't go wrong - lol - but I reckon that's all part of the adventure? When I leave my garage on my 2003 Ural sidecar I NEVER know if it will my means of return transport..lol.. but I still drive the durn thing.

That whole 1/2 the clothes and twice the money thing are truly words to live by. Because you WILL spend more than you thought and your best laid plans will surely change before you make your first fuel stop - lol. The off the beaten path mom-n-pop motels are your friend wherever you travel.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Stratman....

This link will help with finding a (hopefully) nearby fellow ChopperCharles member if you get in a jam on the road:

HTTA Traveler Assistance

http://choppercharle...7/ShowPost.aspx

Also this link from DaveF (I believe) site shows what he packs for touring trips:

http://www.genebitsystems.com/david/MotorcycleTouringNotes/index.htm

Hope these help and if/when you go...Ride safe......take LOTS of photos (we sometimes "travel" vicariously through others...LOL) and have FUN!!!

Greg

EDIT:

Try this link for HTTA assistance:

http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/78597/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
264 Posts
sonSounds cool. I would like to do that someday. You should read Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. If you can get past all the philosophy it is a good book. I would want to do like he did and stay off the main highways. Keep in mind you will need to change tires along the way. I think a combinatin of camping and hotels would be the way to go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One of the biggest things that I found, is that it is best not to plan to travel the same distance in a single day while riding a motorcycle as you would in a car.

For may years my favorite way to spend vacations or long wknds was to do a road trip with some friends, 500 miles in a day was pretty common. When I planned my first bike trip it comprised of 10 days with an average of 450 miles per day. Definitely to much to be enjoyable as the winding roads we were riding took much longer than the same amount of miles on freeway.

Riding in the dark really is no fun, leave yourself a few "spare" days encase of weather or mechanical trouble. That way, if all is well, you can relax and have a spare day to take in some local event that happens to coincide with your passing through. (Some of the greatest of memories are not planned but rather just happen)

Also avoid the chain restaurants and hotels, take the time to talk to the locals, I have encountered many great roads and meals because I took the time to chat with a local at the gas pumps.

Take lots of pictures and always take the road less traveled.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Give us yer planned trip itinarary, i'm sure folks here will either a) put you up for the night
advise on a good local motel or campsite c) give you assistance if required

Just my 2 cents worth........Cheers......Keith........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.