Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
Honda CX500B 1981
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I ordered some square headed stainless bolts and nuts M3, plus washers and spring washers from Technobots. They forgot to send the nuts and I ordered the wrong size bolts, but they have been great, ( Hence the mention here) and it's all sorted out now. :D (y)
It was the only place I could find that type of bolt to fit in the channel on the trim strip on the seat. There were round head countersunk Philips in there, and they just spun round and had rusted badly.
The stainless steel square heads fit in nice and don't spin, but slide in the channel easily.
Just got to wait for the new delivery now, I will put the saddle strap back on while I wait, and change the clutch lever to match the brake lever.

Crewie.

These are the 12mm M3 stainless bolts, I needed 20 mm. LOL
Insect Wood Metal Pattern Parasite

In the trim rail, a perfect fit. The internet is great isn't it, back in the day you would have had to grind these up.
Automotive tire Wood Office supplies Gas Font

Registered
As an aside some of the silvers repo downpipes and mufflers dont seem to be very corrosion resistant.....
Stainless down pipes and well chromed mufflers might b a option.......
I do go to silvers often but some of their non oem parts can be had for less if u look around....do a bit o' research for bigger spends...

Registered
Honda CX500B 1981
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Cheers, I appreciate the advice. I am hoping that I can get away with the Exhaust kit that's on the bike, as its not too bad. I will find out when I dismantle it later in the year. David silvers is a tad pricier than elsewhere, like CMSNL.com and others, but I'm in the UK and so are they, delivery is mighty quick, and the service is excellent.
I just bought a few more cosmetic items from there, levers, a collar for the tank cushion ( I assumed that would be in the new one), a tappet tool, and a key blank, as I only have one key, and you know what happens when you only have one of something................
The only thing I am struggling to find is the fuel cap locking part.

Crewie

Registered
I have actually found one, I had to buy a whole tank but I can play about with that and a bit of paint. LOL. Needs Must EH?

Crewie
Have you actually got it yet? Only saying as later tank locks are different to early ones, as are the tank cap cover and the part on the tank where the lock secures. As far as I understand it the two types are not compatible with one another.

Registered
Honda CX500B 1981
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes. I made sure I had the right one. My one has a squarer profile the other type is rounder, and the locating hole/keep on mine is just a round hole with a locating pin that slides in. The other type has two locating "U" cutouts.
Crewie

Registered
Honda CX500B 1981
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just to show the difference that PCD-500B is talking about, see below.

Crewie

Mine. I don't know which type is older, mine is obviously the 1981 version. If anyone does know it would be interesting to find out.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Other type
Input device Peripheral Electric blue Plastic Automotive design

Mine.
Azure Aqua Gas Electric blue Personal protective equipment

Other type.
Automotive lighting Bumper Gas Motor vehicle Fender

Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
The black tank is the earlier type that isn't really a lock, just a latch. You can turn it with anything (including the key.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Crewie-CX81

Registered
One thing they improved on the later one was that when filling up, you could safely 'park' the filler cap's rim in the slot in the lock's catch (as long as it's an original Honda filler cap, that is! 馃槈 A Honda filler cap is on the black tank. ).

Registered
Honda CX500B 1981
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
All I have to do is get a key cut. It's quite an easy job, but I think I will leave it to a locksmith, as they are so hard to find and it involves dismantling the barrel. LOL

Crewie

Registered
Honda CX500B 1981
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So I am full of a nasty cold at the moment....and in need of something to cheer me up.
2 things happened.
1 . My daughter has a job interview tomorrow. :D
2 . My tank turned up and my Original Key turns it as sweet as a nut. :cool: and the filler cap is present and original.
Whether I have dropped lucky with one that someone has swapped out or what, I don't know, but I don't have to try and get a key cut, apart from the the actual ignition key I am getting copied, as there was only one key with the bike.

Crewie

The spoils from the purchase. After a bit of bartering, I paid 拢70 for the tank Inc postage, 拢12.
I think I did well. The Rubber seal on the cap is 拢2.27 LOL

Wood Gas Circle Auto part Font

Tank art. I have removed the cap, I will also keep the little wire keep insert.
Gas Personal protective equipment Auto part Plastic Electric blue

Could be a good tank again. Albeit with the same problem of no lock or filler cap.
Helmet Motorcycle helmet Sports equipment Automotive design Sports gear

Helmet Wood Snout Personal protective equipment Auto part

The filler cap "parks up" just like PCD-500B said. :D:D
Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Personal protective equipment Gas

21 - 34 of 34 Posts