Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,521 Posts
Original Honda screens in good nick are very hard to come by. They usually craze, sometimes badly, and impacts from small stones and bigger insects, while not leaving any marks at the time, seem to cause stress cracks to appear in later life. Lots of strong sunlight doesn't help either. A few years ago there was a genuine New Old Stock one for sale on ebay for £200! It didn't sell at the time... aftermarket screens are available, but they don't have the same curvature or the moulded beading to the edge.
If it's not holed, the collector box should clean up and repainted without too much difficulty. David Silver Spares usually has pattern collector boxes for the standard CX (like yours) for a reasonable fee..
If you're serious, and can justify it, it might be worth getting the rank professionally restored. Can't advise on the lock though, but shouldn't be too hard to find one.

· Registered
1,521 Posts
As new genuine Honda exhausts are no longer available, where is the £393.63 exhaust from? Is it complete with all six gaskets and four clamps?

MoT exemption is automatic at 40 years, so there's nothing to 'apply for', but until it is registered as Historic (from 1st April in its 41st year, so yours qualifies now, as you know) you can only tax it at a PO, with the V112 (which is a pointless form as they only throw it away or give it back to you - they can see when it was first registered on the V5C you give them!), not tax online. Once registered as Historic, you still have to 'tax' it every year, or SORN it, as before.

· Registered
1,521 Posts
I have actually found one, I had to buy a whole tank but I can play about with that and a bit of paint. LOL. Needs Must EH?

Crewie
Have you actually got it yet? Only saying as later tank locks are different to early ones, as are the tank cap cover and the part on the tank where the lock secures. As far as I understand it the two types are not compatible with one another.

· Registered
1,521 Posts
One thing they improved on the later one was that when filling up, you could safely 'park' the filler cap's rim in the slot in the lock's catch (as long as it's an original Honda filler cap, that is! 😉 A Honda filler cap is on the black tank. ).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts