Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a persuasive speech on wearing gear.

I am trying to find some good crash statistics regarding helmets and single vehicle accidents or multiple vehicle accidents.

It seems most of everything I find is rather old information. I checked the MSF website and it was all older stuff.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Mark me down as 'Guilty'. I was out in Shorts and T-shirt, with my full face helmet, and some really good boots... So much for ATGATT on the sunny days!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am doing a persuasive speech on wearing gear.

I am trying to find some good crash statistics regarding helmets and single vehicle accidents or multiple vehicle accidents.

It seems most of everything I find is rather old information. I checked the MSF website and it was all older stuff.

Any ideas?

I did a persuasive on the very same topic...I referenced the HURT report,its ollllld but theres some great stats and then you can find some by googling national motorcycle accidents, they should be broken down according to gear worn or not worn, intoxication other drivers etc. etc....

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
That website live to ride, ride to die was a good example of bad pictures. But it hasn't been up for the last 6 months at least. It was one of those sites where you didn't want to be eating lunch while scrolling through it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The Hurt Report is definitely worth a glance. You may be able to compare your more up-to-date findings with that of the H.Rpt, given that it's 30 years old and perspectives on gear/protection has changed. Still, I think the statistics lean in the same directions, some more heavily and some less--a natural sway.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The Hurt Report is definitely worth a glance. You may be able to compare your more up-to-date findings with that of the H.Rpt, given that it's 30 years old and perspectives on gear/protection has changed. Still, I think the statistics lean in the same directions, some more heavily and some less--a natural sway.
The Hurt study is currently the best study of motorcycle accidents out there.

The AMA (bikes, not DRs) and the Federal government are currently doing a major study that will surpass the Hurt Study in depth and in terms of being current.

They biggest problem facing this current study is they may have bitten off more than they can chew. The expense of the study, because it is so in depth, is staggering and it may never reach the expectations that it wanted, but even from the data gathered, it will be surpassing the Hurt Study.

In case you missed the posting Harry Hurt died in 2009 and will indeed be missed as a great authority on safety.

I am anxiously waiting to see all the results of the current study.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Take a Rack of ribs and drag it naked around the parking lot....

Take another and wrap it in leather and drag it around...

Sooner or later... most will learn the "Hard" way.

I'm sorry I do not believe in the persuasive ability of statistics...

...especially after my ribs hit the pavement without a protective coating

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Mark me down as 'Guilty'. I was out in Shorts and T-shirt, with my full face helmet, and some really good boots... So much for ATGATT on the sunny days!

Shorts AND Boots?

Now there is a look I am glad to have missed.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you guys. I gave my speech today. Ended up getting an A+. While I feel most people didn't care to much about my topic because they don't ride, I still think I got to a few people.

I showed some road rash pictures. Got some attention. If I didn't get to people I don't care. I will have my gear on.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I am just ready to be done. This is my last gen. ed. class. After this it is 3 more auto classes and I am done.

I will be happy to say I finished. I am growing tired of this school thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.