Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking at the attachment points on both bikes. I think the bars on my GL500 (on the Right) will gon on my GL650 on the left, without taking the ones that are on it off. What do you think? The ones on the 500 are better for highway pegs.

Better shot. The GL650 bars protect the cylinders better so I don't want to take them off, but they are a little high for highway pegs. I have also seen pegs that hang down, which might put them in a better place for stretching on a trip.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
If I remember right they will both go on, they do share the same lower engine mount stud, don't know if its long enough for both brackets. Nice bikes by the way,cheers

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I remember right they will both go on, they do share the same lower engine mount stud, don't know if its long enough for both brackets. Nice bikes by the way,cheers
Thanks! I feel lucky to have both.

I think the lower mounts are different. I'll take a better picture later today.

Hey, my future plan, when the pandemic settles, is to fly the wife out to Cape Breton, and then meet her at Whiteside on the bike. Her Shannons were the first English speakers there: Ship's Captains and Ferrymen. The place is crawling with Shannons.
My Father's Mother's people were the first settlers (Pennsylvania Swiss Mennonites) in Kitchener when it was named Ebyville, (Named after an ancestor( before it was Berlin.) Never thought about it before doing my genealogy, after moving back from Japan, but I am half Canadian and half Japanese.
I include a photo of my Grandfather below, William "Red" Love, who was a Stonemason in Berlin, Ontario. For the WWI war effort, they made stone dip molds for making rubber boots. His people were English and Scots-Irish. (My Grandmother was Swiss and German.)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
A lot of folks have had to put plans on hold, happy with my bike and know it's ready for a ride to my daughters in Alberta. Closest one 600 miles away . Hope the cure comes out soon. Cheers

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Some local parks are open here in B.C. as for camp ground don't know. The border is still closed as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some local parks are open here in B.C. as for camp ground don't know. The border is still closed as far as I know.
I wonder if the borders were closed in 1918?
I watched a documentary on the 1918 pandemic and it mentioned something about Chinese railroad workers, Canada and its origins:

The deadly "Spanish flu" claimed more lives than World War I, which ended the same year the pandemic struck. Now, new research is placing the flu's emergence in a forgotten episode of World War I: the shipment of Chinese laborers across Canada in sealed train cars.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Whiteside is 40hours. 1958 miles away. Only 4 hours more avoiding Freeways. Going way North you only add 2 hours and avoid Ottawa and Montreal.

l
Lee, been around lake superior twice-one of my favorite rides- straight thru UP over Lake
Huron twice once down to Toronto other time to Montreal/Ottawa. Traffic seems slower paced plus
even on two lane they would pull to side of road to let you pass. The far north looks a bit lonely-even a flat tire may be a problem.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
lLee, been around lake superior twice-one of my favorite rides- straight thru UP over Lake
Huron twice once down to Toronto other time to Montreal/Ottawa. Traffic seems slower paced plus
even on two lane they would pull to side of road to let you pass. The far north looks a bit lonely-even a flat tire may be a problem.
I suppose a plug kit and a tire pump would be a good idea. David recommended Michellins on the GL650 and I said yes without a second thougt because I knew I wanted to tour on them. So far, I like them. The back tire seems to have a wider track than my Shinkos on my GL500. I like the Shinkos too.

I remember AtomicGoose's photos from the East Coast through Canada. Much of it looked pretty desolate. When things are better, I might make my first camping trip up to Gooseberry Falls. Do you know closer camping that's a nice short ride? I wonder, along the Mississippi?

Went for a ride last night and our Provincial campsite is closed. Yah.
Ah. How far away from your house?

·
Super Moderator
13,497 Posts
I wonder if the borders were closed in 1918?
I watched a documentary on the 1918 pandemic and it mentioned something about Chinese railroad workers, Canada and its origins
You might find this interesting. Particularly what he says around 2:55...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I suppose a plug kit and a tire pump would be a good idea. David recommended Michellins on the GL650 and I said yes without a second thougt because I knew I wanted to tour on them. So far, I like them. The back tire seems to have a wider track than my Shinkos on my GL500. I like the Shinkos too.

I remember AtomicGoose's photos from the East Coast through Canada. Much of it looked pretty desolate. When things are better, I might make my first camping trip up to Gooseberry Falls. Do you know closer camping that's a nice short ride? I wonder, along the Mississippi?

Ah. How far away from your house?
Lee,
I belive it is Maiden Rock just down the river Wis side has city park that a friend used often.
Easy enough to ride down Wis side now that it is open for a few hours & come back home.
Paul

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Do you know closer camping that's a nice short ride? I wonder, along the Mississippi?
William O'Brien State Park and Interstate State Park are fairly close. Both are on the St. Croix.
We'll ride through O'Brien on Saturday.

Randall

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
About 60 miles from my house.
That'd be a nice ride to test out new gear.

William O'Brien State Park and Interstate State Park are fairly close. Both are on the St. Croix.
We'll ride through O'Brien on Saturday.
Thanks Randall,
I camped at O'Brien once, maybe 30 years ago. Around the same time, we camped at Afton. Jean doesn't like camping, so motorcycle camping is my ideal solution. Need to figure out a way to bring Momo. She is why I want a sidecar.

Paul/April2007 has the crashbars I need. This forum is awesome. Lucky to have so many people in our region into our bikes! DavidInWisconsin mailed me a seat pull bar and the hardware for luggage. I need to fix up a shelter to start collecting parts so I can get into the sharing too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts