Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wonder if there is any point in fitting crashbars to the CX? If the bike topples over, or slides down the road, I suspect the only thing the crashbars will save is the rocker cover? And then the crashbar itself will have to be replaced, and will probably be more expensive than the rocker cover.

Is there someone out there unfortunate enough to have first hand experience with this?

Regards,

Michael

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The crashbar saved my leg when I was broadsided. The fairing took the impact of landing on it's side, the crashbar took some serious force from the car that hit me before folding back, after which the exhaust header was pushed into the block and ripped out of the head. If the bike goes down on it's side with a full fairing, it will keep the engine off the pavement, if the wreck is bad enough to shatter the fairing, then saving the engine is the least of your worries.

I can't prove it with 100% certainty, but there was nothing between my leg and the car that hit me besides the crash bar, if it hadn't taken the brunt of the hit and pivoted the bike up, I'm pretty sure my new nickname would be "stumpy."

Anecdotal at best, and probably a freak accident, but I'm damn glad I had the thick reinforced crash bars with the integrated skid plate. If you go down and stay with the bike, these will keep you from getting pinned under the bike too, unless they get folded back or knocked in. Can't say that about those wrap around crash bars though, they seem like they're so close to the engine they'll protect little more than the valve cover.

Here's a pic of the type of bar I'm referring to, before it served the purpose it was designed for:

I'll put up some post accident pics if I can get them to load in photobucket, had to do a clean system install and still working out the kinks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that's a really hefty crash bar, I see your point. Mine is the flimsy wrap-around type, I cannot imagine that it will save anything except the rocker cover.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
I have seen several types of crash guards and highway bars for these bikes and some are strong and others are weak. Most of the strong ones I have seen have rash on them and besides that were fine.

Some do fold up but really if something else is taking the force of the crash then why not have it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Crashbars are definately out of fashion nowadays, but are really useful in the event of a spill. they give you a few more seconds of safety generally and often protect both arms and legs to a higher degree than not having one. Even more out of fashion are rear crash bars which afford a passenger the same level of protection. with both front and rear bars fitted, light crash damage is virtually eliminated as the bike slides down the road on the bars ( if they are fit for the job). another often over looked benefit is the additional protection they can give from the most common motorcycle accident of all, being sideswiped by a car at a junction. Best crash bars I ever saw even had a second bar bolted on to the sturdy main bar, which was replaceable and was meant to take the brunt of the impact and all scar damage etc, then thrown away and replaced so that all looked new again

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Yours are not flimsy.I have similar to yours on both my CX.I would never ride without them.I too have slid my bike and the engine bars not only saved the engine(The engines have integral cylinders and would be ruined if they came into contact with the road) they saved my leg.They formed a protective area between the road surface stopping the bike from crushing my leg.

THEY WORK!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,467 Posts
I think that mine are original Hondaline. They have a few spots of rash on the right side. Must have been from a previous ownership, because the only time I have had the bike down was in my driveway , and that was to the left side.

I have to agree with Shep, yours are likely much stouter than you may think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haven't had the opportunity to test the bars on my cx, but on my first bike I took a hard crash after being bumped from behind at 50. Rode the crash bar to a stop, stood up and walked away. Saved me a lot of skin I imagine

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Ditto the leg protection comments

theyre probably the only shiny ( ok semi shiny) thing on

my bike but I have them because if I drop the bike I have better chance

of kicking away from it.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I doesn't matter if they are,"Stout" IMHO

If they crush on impact taking the force out of the impact saving legs and engine then they have done their job

New bars cheap price to pay.

New leg not so much

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Interesting to see that several members have had good experience with the "small" type of crashbars.

ramprat06: Interesting those Hondaline ones, never seen them before. Good looking bike by the way!

Michael

·
Registered
422 Posts
Had the previous owner of my GL had crash bars, I probably wouldn't have an ugly flat spot on the left side valve cover, and a big ugly weld (patching a hole I'd guess) on the right side cover.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Crash bars do help lessen injuries in an accident. They can also help out when you just drop your bike in the driveway. It will land on the crash guards doesn't fall all the way over until the handlebars hit the dirt. Makes it much easier to pick back up. Mine have come in handy several times this way.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Plus you have to consider the fact that they are chrome, can be polished and is just one more thing that will SHINE ! LMAO

Just sayin !

·
Registered
227 Posts
In my crash they saved a lot of fairing damage and saved most of the bike. I wouldn't ride without them.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Haven't been hit or crashed (knock on wood) but it did back into my cx once in the driveway and was very glad I had crash guards on while picking the bike back up.  Mine are similar to the pic Cobram posted.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Bars are also really handy for mounting footpegs it they're the right kind. Are bars for our bikes still available and if so where can we order them?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Slid my old CB360 many years ago. It came with some terrible looking homemade crashbars, but I left them on more out laziness than any other reason. In any event, it saved my leg from even more abrasion than it received and I think it also saved me from burns from the exhaust. Burns can take longer to heal.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Crash bars do help lessen injuries in an accident. They can also help out when you just drop your bike in the driveway. It will land on the crash guards doesn't fall all the way over until the handlebars hit the dirt. Makes it much easier to pick back up. Mine have come in handy several times this way.

I absolutely agree. I've dropped mine three times in the first six month I owned it (I don't do that anymore). Out of the three drops, I broke one turn signal. No paint scrapes / no dents. And the crash bars still look good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have to wonder if crash bars are worth anything....I went 2 weeks ago while turning from pavement onto a gravel road. The bars kept my leg from getting crunched under the bike, I was able to get out from under the bike without any assistance or major injuries. I was wearing ATGATT and ended up w/ a small abrasion--it could have been much worse.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts