Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My crankshaft has some score marks underneath the left piston bearing. This is what caused the motor to seize on the previous owner.

I was able to score some fairly new piston rod bearings off eBay, so my question is, If I rebore the crank to take off the tiny bit of scoring, will I need different {thicker} piston rod bearings to make up the difference in space between the rob bearing and the crank?

I think the answer is yes, I just want to know for sure before I go rebore my crank.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes you will need oversized bearings as mentioned. There are multiple color code rod bearing but be cautious, only a few colors are available still. Check out the honda shop manual for all the different bearing colors codes and sizes before turning down your crank. These cranks are super soft.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I believe that the difference from the largest to the smallest bearing is very slight so any grinding would have to be limited to a surface dressing/polishing operation at Most. The honda factory never planned on reconditioning of there cranks. If you can feel the scoring it is likely too deep.

·
Registered
24,495 Posts
buy what ever bearings you can get

then take them with the crank and block to teh crank grinding shop

they will have to build up teh crankshaft then grind and polish it to the size needed for proper clearance

or buy a good crankshaft and rods and bearings and swap them out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts