Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I’ve decided to take it apart. Don’t have a clue as to where to begin but with the help of this forum I will know where to look for answers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If it’s a crankshaft/bearing issue I think you will find it best to start shopping for a good used motor. From what I understand main bearings are impossible to find in any size let alone the size you end up needing. I had the same dilemma with my bike this year, although my bike was still running good. I saw small gold flakes in my oil while changing the oil. I didn’t even bother to take it apart to find out which bearing was failing. I’ve put a used motor in this winter and it’s ready for Spring. You will still be able to use all the parts you bought on a used motor. A used motor is also a gamble so you’ll want to inspect possible used motors closely. JC has tips for what to look for and how on his Motofaction website.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
What sucks is that this was supposed to be my "good used motor". I purchased it to replace the original engine on my 500 with 65,000 miles. This motor only had 13,000. I still have the original motor to scavenge parts from so hopefully they aren't beyond their expiration date. Anybody near Winchester Virginia that would like to help a fellow out?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I feel for you. I’ve had that kind of luck all too often. Since you have the heads off, is there any evidence of a stuck piston on either cylinder? Like I said before, it doesn’t make sense that it spun freely when you took it apart and then mysteriously seized before complete reassembly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I'm back after a short hiatus with family issues. I have removed the pistons from the engine and when I turn the crankshaft it is still difficult to turn. It does turn but it requires a some force. The pistons seemed to be ok with the exception of the rings. there was some rust on the right side piston. The bearings looked to be ok but I still need to measure them and see if they are still in spec. My next task will be to remove the crankshaft and see what's up with that. Pictures to follow later today.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
F043B6C1-7828-44AD-8DE8-D296EC486F67.jpeg

3C93BAA2-BC87-41DE-BCA1-8B4BA2476C13.jpeg

Results of my engine problem. Now I just need to find a couple bearings.

·
Registered
313 Posts
What about the mating part to the bearings? What does it look like?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yikes! Not pretty... Sorry about the misfortune, that stinks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Murray, what would you suggest I do to clean the Oil galleries? Can I blow air through them? Or should I look for a good used crankshaft.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I know you don’t want to hear it but I think you’re best off to look for a different motor. That motor needs more than a little cleaning and bearings.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have a spare motor that ran when the bike was parked last year. It has 65,000 miles on it though. Would that be a good candidate for refurbishing?

·
Registered
23,989 Posts
if you have to do more than a quad bypass on it i would say no

by that mileage things will add up it may need a clutch oil pump chain just to name 2

if you can find a lower mile under say 20k motor you can do a quad and ride it for a long time without putting a lot of money in it

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, the search is on then. thanks for the advice everybody.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts