Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was putting my engine back together and tried to adjust the valves to see if they were correct. I went to turn the crank shaft by using the front of the shaft to get to TDC. I cannot get it to turn at all. I don’t know if I’ve missed something when putting the motor back together or if the pistons have locked up. I removed the heads and was expecting to see damage but I could find any. What could be preventing me from turning the engine over? Sorry if this is obvious but I’m still learning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just down for a triple bypass. replaced the needed items on the rear of the motor and that's all I got to. Trying to finish up and replace the back cover but once I saw that it wouldn't turn over I stopped and pulled the heads to see if the cylinders were damaged.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it turned over. I had to turn it to get the timing marks lined up to replace the timing chain. I now have the rear cover off, the front cover off, and the cylinder heads removed.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
If I recall correctly, I sent you the oil jet inside the front cover back in Sept?? So I assume you have also had the front cover off at some point. Did the crank turn back in Sept/Oct? If so is it possible you left something behind in the front that locked up the crank like a penny or washer?

Have no idea how you could damage pistons while doing a triple? Hope you have new head gaskets. Best to ask questions before making extra work. Follow the re-torque methods on re-install of heads.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You got my curiosity up. Be sure to post what you find. With both covers off and still stuck could something be haywire with the timing chain or oil pump chain? Is the flywheel still on?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a few pics of my engine. I honestly don't see anything that would prevent the motor from turning.

Front Engine.jpg
Rear Engine.jpg
Rear Engine 1.jpg
Rear Engine 2.jpg
Left Cylinder.jpg
Right Cylinder.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could you set the cam timing up and get a picture of that?

I can't get the timing chain to turn. I adjusted the timing previously when the engine would turn but now I can't or possibly I don't understand the question.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't found anything stuck in any of the gears. It may be in third gear as I was trying different gear positions to see if that could be a cause, but yes, I have tried it in neutral.

Could something stuck in the transmission be the cause? That one place I haven't looked yet.

·
Super Moderator
19,707 Posts
Something stuck in the trans is possible as the mainshaft always spins unless the clutch is pulled.

You could have a fish with a magnet. Or loosen the clutch thrust plate so the clutch slips and see if you can then rotate the motor. If you can it's in the trans. If not .... we'll keep guessing until we get it right. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help. I will keep you posted on what I find.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was finally able to turn the engine over. It took a BFH but it turns over now. I think it just needed oiled real good so I have several spots soaking now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I added some oil to the cylinders and was able to get some to the crank and connecting rods.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If oil on the crank and connecting rods are what helped it free up you have bigger problems. Since you are disassembled this far already, you should check the condition of your crankshaft and bearings. Something doesn’t make sense here if the motor turned over freely before you started working on it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts