Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As discussed in my new member introduction I purchased a 1981 CX500C, and began safety maintenance inspections after guidance from veteran members. I had noticed an oil leak under the motor when I initially bought the bike and thought nothing of it until today. After further inspection there seems to be a hairline fracture under the oil drain plug. The only front crank case replacement with a decent price is off of a 1978 CX500, would I run into any problems down the road if I used this as a replacement?

Always grateful,
Wreckbombed
Automotive tire Font Gas Plumbing Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Before I did that I would grind a slot at the crack and fill it with JB Weld.
If you use a Dremel tool you can make the grind wider at the bottom of the grind than at the surface to key in the JB Weld filler.

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
Perhaps drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading in addition to Thumpers suggestion.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
That crack is from the drain plug from being over tightened. Mine was cracked on my Silverwing when I got it. I bought one from Ebay instead of trying to fix it. I would have to worry about breaking the fix every time I changed the oil or worry about it letting loose on a long road trip. The front cover isn’t hard to remove. I would replace it if you found one at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. For now I’ll patch it until the new one comes in. Fingers crossed there’s nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Let us know if the "repair" works.

Reactions: Wreckbombed

·
Registered
326 Posts
You should find plenty of these front covers on eBay! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let us know if the "repair" works.
I haven't gotten around to working on the bike since the other day, I'll probably just buy a cover on ebay instead of trying to repair it. I'm not that skilled in wielding anyway.
As soon as it arrives I'll update y'all.

Stay safe.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,233 Posts
If it isn't leaking too badly I would leave it the way it is and look for a replacement. Temporary repairs have a way of becoming permanent - until the part fails altogether (usually at the worst possible time).....

·
Registered
326 Posts
I thought that said 'wet' 🤣

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,004 Posts
Hey, now. This is a family show!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The pic was innocent enough when i posted it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well at least he didn’t say, “moist” below the picture.
update: no seals for the cover yet, hoping forTuesday.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Indeed, given the context, the fact that it is red coloured sauce is the worst aspect.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts