Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Cracked cylinder wall

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Sidecar Bob 
#1 · (Edited)
My 83 cx650c started overheating recently and thats when I noticed it had compression in the cooling system. I decided to do head gaskets and found a crack on the engine on the aluminum around the sleeve. Is there any hope or should I get a new bike.

#2 · (Edited)
You'd be better off buying another engine.

#3 ·
FWIW. The cylinder has a steel/ iron liner. The aluminum case is cracked at the cylinder. Likely caused by an over heat event.

Your best path is to replace the engine. A new head gasket will have a difficult task to seal those cracks.

Good Luck

#8 ·
Do you know the difference between the block of a cx 650 and cx500? An older motorcycle rebuilder I'm planning on working for has an old cx500 motor laying around, and he could help me rebuild it from ground up. Did they just change the stroke? Or is the bore massively different?

#10 ·
Rear covers are identical (GL500), except for the hole for the manual chain tensioner. Front cover is the same, other than the drain plug. The clutch cover and oil filter might be direct swaps.
Everything between is different.

#11 ·
The valve covers are different but interchangeable. The clutch plates & discs are the same but the 650 has one more of each. And if you want to get picky many of the bolts are the same.

How complete is the GL500 engine?

#12 ·
Get a good 650 engine, it's the cheapest route.

You can get an entire bike for what a complete teardown and rebuild on that engine will cost you in parts and headache.

Where you located?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.