Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, pulled and disassembled the calipers. I found the dreaded corrosion, under the seals. Which, was causing the brakes to not return properly, and drag.
My question is, "Would it be of any advantage to put waterproof grease (or something) in the groove before installing the seals?"

EJ

·
Registered
626 Posts
You’re starting the big “debate”. I use silicone grease on all the rubber when assembling hydraulic brake parts and I’ve never had a problem and it helps with assembly. Others will say to only lube with brake fluid and they’ve never had a problem. Either way works. As far as the corrosion, it probably would’ve been there no matter how it was put together. Brake fluid absorbs water and that equals corrosion. Hydraulic brakes just don’t handle long term storage.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Problem with any grease inside the caliper most greases reck the seals and contamiate the fliud. A properly installed seal should hold the water out. What usually wrecks the seals is when you push the pistons back into the caliper with dirt on the pistons.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Problem with any grease inside the caliper most greases reck the seals and contamiate the fliud. A properly installed seal should hold the water out. What usually wrecks the seals is when you push the pistons back into the caliper with dirt on the pistons.
Silicone grease does not in any way wreck or ruin the seals. Any other grease will ruin the rubber.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The kit of new brake pistons and seals I got came with a small amount of red rubber grease for assembly. I had cleaned caliper corrosion with ultra fine steel wool and brake cleaner, replaced seals with new and old pistons still leaked due to minute pits in chrome. New pistons claimed to be stainless steel, and fixed the leaks!

·
Super Moderator
13,482 Posts
I use mine in pretty extreme conditions and have to work on the caliper more often than most because of that. I've learned that even with an immaculately cleaned caliper and brand new Honda OEM seals water can find its way between the seals and the grooves they sit in, especially the outer ring that's sole job is to wipe off the piston as it moves into the caliper so that it doesn't carry contamination past the second ring.

When I just used brake fluid during assembly I used to have to disassemble the winter machine's caliper and clean the grooves at least once per year but when I started buttering using silicone grease into those grooves before installing the rings it decreased to about every 2 years (I still had to remove the caliper and use contact cleaner and Scotchbrite to remove deposits from the exposed part of the pistons)(the interval has increased significantly since I retired and stopped driving it to work every day).

As has been mentioned, silicone grease is compatible with Brake fluid so even if some of it mixes with the fluid it is not considered a contaminant and will not effect brake performance.

BTW: Corrosion in those grooves is more "expected" than "dreaded".

·
Super Moderator
13,482 Posts
Just about any good quality silicone grease will do. I bought a tube of silicone brake grease from an auto parts store several decades ago and finally used that up a couple of years ago. In the meantime i was accidentally sent a large quantity of little pouches of AGS Rad Hose Grease, which turns out to be the same Sil-Glyde silicone grease they package as hitch ball lube, brake grease and a couple of other things so I've been using that but the last time I did calipers I used the red grease that came with the kit I bought.

·
Registered
980 Posts
A tube of silicone grease lasts me years also, I'm guessing it's all good quality as it is expensive for the quantity. I also used the red grease supplied by Caltric in the complete caliper kit I got. Was impressed by quality of parts, special stainless steel pistons seem to be better idea than plated steel originals. No leaks and went together easily with greased seals.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Current suppliers on ebay is Brakecrafters, appears identical to what I got, very complete kit for dual piston about 65$. Less for single piston kit.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If I wasn't a hi tech idiot I would,,,;) I just searched on ebay for cx650c caliper rebuild kit and it's right there, same goes for cx500 as some have single piston calipers from what I read. Very high quality, good price!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts