Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How thick should a new front brake pad be for a cx650? I ordered the cheapest ones I could find off of ebay and am thinking it was a mistake, because they seem to be a bit too thick. They are .6mm, does anyone know if that is what they should be?

·
Registered
458 Posts
6 mm sounds right, or 1/4" for those in the US
When the pads get to the same thickness as the backing plate, change 'em out.

You will need to use a G-clamp or similar to squeeze the caliper piston back into the caliper. As the pad wears, the pads get closer to the disk, and the area behind the piston fills with brake fluid, so as you squeeze the piston back in, take care to watch the level in your MC reservoir, it will start to fill up. Also the caliper is self centering, so if there is only one piston, obviously the caliper itself has to move to wear the other pad.

Good time to strip the guide pins, and rub some wet/dry over them.

Dont forget the thin steel shim behing the pads, it stops brake squeal. Its an anti rattle spring, most people thing its the disk squealing, its usually the pads vibrating in the caliper, because of disk "run-out"

To answer your question.....I dont know.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
When pushing the piston in with the C clamp, open the bleeder screw and let the old fluid out rather than pushing what is probably dirty fluid into the MC. I would recommend going ahead and flushing and refilling the system anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts