Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thank you to everyone here... I'm new to bikes and have been turning a donor 79 cx500 custom into a cafe' of sorts. I'm having a great time but I'm stuck now. I just installed new blinkers and first off, they turn on but don't flash, also, since I messed with that wiring I'm constantly running hot(according to my gauge). I could use whatever insight yall have as I've bought two manuals and they are NOT offering any direct help. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If your new blinkers are LED type, they won't flash with the standard blinker module (silver can located under right side cover.) They don't draw enough current, and it's a current-operated device. Simple fix is to get a LED-type flasher module from any auto parts store, sorry I can't give you an exact part number to look for. Others on the forum could provide further info on that.

If your new blinkers are NOT LED (i.e. standard incandescent bulbs), then you've got a wiring problem. First question is, how are you at reading wiring diagrams and tracing wiring systems? Do you have a multimeter for reading voltage and resistance?

Regarding your indication of running hot, that MIGHT be another wiring problem as there are a couple separate electrical devices involved. The most important one is the 7-volt regulator that sits under the speedometer, behind the headlight bucket. If that's not grounded, your temp gauge will read high when it's really not overheating.

If this is confusing or overwhelming, let us know and we can help you step by step.

Let us know where you live. There might be a forum member close by who can assist you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts