Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '81 GL500 is "weeping" coolant from that typical place, at the back of the motor. Not a lot, so I am not sure if this is allowable. I read on the Triple By-pass page (please don't tell me I have to do that!) that the weep hole is there to allow spillover to weep out, and this is stated as if it is a normal thing at times. I haven't yet examined the area carefully to check if it is leaking from the gasket or from the weep hole. Is a general occasional weeping situation something to be alarmed about?

·
Super Moderator
3,917 Posts
Coolant coming from the weep hole is not normal. It may happen if a bike has been idle for a long time. This type of leak sometimes resolves its self after a short period of use. In my case it is weeping after a change of the mechanical seal so I need to do it again. You may still ride with a leak from the weep hole provided that you monitor coolant level in the rad and coolant temperature.

Reactions: 79-82-CX

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
As Above, it depends on how much it leaks, how long the bike was not operated, how much its driven ...... The leaking of a bit of coolant isnt in itself a huge problem, the problem comes from the fact the oil seal behind it may also leak, which can let coolant into the engine. If the bike has not been left idle for a long period of time and is ridden regular, then it may be an indication it need to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
14,131 Posts
According to the Factory Shop Manual (download from the CX Wiki - link in my signature) you have to drop the engine and pull the rear cover to replace the water pump's mechanical seal. When we believed that it made sense to consider replacing the camchain & guides and the alternator stator while it is apart (& vise versa).

Some years ago a fellow called Shep came up with a method of replacing the mechanical seal with the engine in the frame. Since you don't need to have the engine apart for the mech seal it is no longer a trigger for a "triple".

BTW: I am a big advocate of turning the "triple" into a "quad" by including the starter clutch because you have to take the engine almost as far apart for the SC as you do for the camchain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts