Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again everyone!

It's been a while, but I've been busy with life and working up the civil-service ladder, and winter...

Anyway it's warmer here now and I just took my GL500 out of storage and got it running. Aside from a stone-dead battery that refused to fully charge and was replaced it fired up with no trouble thanks to the sta-bil, non-oxy, and the non-vacuum petcock I installed.

What happened when I got back from my first (too short) ride of 8 miles was that I noticed a slight coolant weep from the water pump weep-hole. I immediately thought the worst, but the reservoir and radiator are both full after checking the levels.

Is it common for a water pump to weep after lay-up, or is it nearing time for open-heart surgery?

If only I had a garage that I could rip the thing apart in It'd be halfway done already, but the downsize of high-rise condo life has advantages and disadvantages; mainly that I have a climate controlled underground garage, but that I have 300 neighbors and association bylaws....

·
Super Moderator
21,616 Posts
Unfortunately this is fairly common after a layup. I'd keep an eye on my coolant for about 100 miles or so but if it doesn't sort itself out it's time for replacement.

Check the coolant level at the radiator, the coolant catch tanks can tell lies....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the coolant catch tanks can tell lies....
I know all about lying catch tanks...

Back in my youth of driving mid-80's full-sized Ford cars and their electrolyzed coolant from lack of grounding that rotted heater cores.

Let's just say I cracked half of the head bolts in one car, then exploded an intake manifold in another. All due to teenage stupidity and a full overflow tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts