Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My coolant reservetank was empty for coolant so i poured coolant into the reserve tank up to FULL market when bike was Cold
Now its dripping with coolant from the botoom of the reserve tank ....ekhhhh... are these reserve tanks known as beeeing leaky sometimes ? cracks in plastic ? or am i just doing Things wrongly here ? :) ;)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
does it leak when the bike is hot - like after a ride - or all the time when its parked?

The catch bottle is made of 40 year old plastic so it may well have a split in it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Are you sure it's the tank itself that's leaking, and not the pipe connected at the bottom? The pipe could have a split or may have hardened and not be sealing at the connection on the tank. There should be a clip to help retain the pipe in position.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Also suspect the connection of the pipe at the bottom. These sturdy reservoir bottles seems to keep up for ages without deterioration of the synthetic material it is made of. A bit of a schlep to reach it the way it is stowed away between all the rear parts of the engine and the frame and the h-box .

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
May just be too full when hot - in which case it will sort itself.
I think the fact he said the tank was empty before topping up to the FULL mark when cold (though handbook and manual says to top up when at working temp) does suggest there is a leak. If at FULL level when cold it's still not going to expand enough to overflow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got 3 coolant tanks (1981 CDI engine ) and all 3 leak , fortunately they all hold about 1 inch depth of coolant. The pick up hoses to the radiator is not leaking. These tanks are old. Keep and eye on it and if it holds enough coolant albeit a small amount that is what you are stuck with.

While on the subject I have a question about CX500 Shadow coolant tanks , , not the Eurosport or Custom.

Did they have a different shape coolant tank for the TI ignition models compared to the CDI bikes?

If it is the same it looks to be a horribly tight squeeze.

·
Super Moderator
3,249 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,249 Posts
Mounting holes are in different places iirc, and I'm not sure that the shape is going to be compatible with the available space. Check on the Oz forums for a non-leaking CDI one, they're fairly plentiful... the TI motor in single spine frame ones are, on the other hand, fairly rare.

·
Super Moderator
3,249 Posts
Pretty sure the mounting holes are in the same place JC .... but can't vouch for it. Pretty sure though that while the bottle changed, nothing on the frame did.
Derp. I'm remembering someone who borrowed a 650E bottle and tried to put it in their single spine bike. You're quite right...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Much appreciated JC and CXPHREAK. I might have to trawl the wreckers in Brisbane. Although rare, I know was a large batch of metallic red CX500 Shadows (about 30 of them) were delivered to Brisbane City Council late in 1983 for parking officer duties.
I remember the amazing sight of them crowded around Brisbane Honda's tiny shop on St Paul Terrace.

They must have been TI's ........... I hope !

If anyone knows the part number for an 82 or 83 Shadow coolant tank could you let me ( and everyone else ) know please. Sometimes searching the part numbers can get results from non english speaking eBay sites.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I have a coolant tank on the way from the USA. It cost US$49.00 including postage. I will post some pics when it arrives to see what $49 gets. It looks fine in the bay pics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have completed the CDI to TI conversion including fitting the later coolant tank. I did have to make a simple adapter bracket but it all looks and works great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts