Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So my 82 Silverwing interstate, is leaking coolant from the front of the engine? I can not tell for sure from where it is leaking although I can look up behind the radiator to where the mechanical fan used to be, as it has electric upgrade, and see that is seems to be coming from around this cover where I am guessing previous owner had the original fan mount machined off as there is no way to mount a mechanical fan. Guessing this may have to be done to implement the electric fan upgrade? Anyway I have no service manual yet and am wondering if you good folks could give me a little insight to what I should do first in finding and fixing the source of my leak. It looks really hard to get to and I do not want to do a engine pull at this time and am wondering if I can pull the radiator and get to this leaky area without pulling the engine? It is not leaking very much and seems to slow to almost nothing once the engine is warmed up good. It does seem to have gotten a little worse sense I first noticed it. I just got my Virginia motorcycle endorsement yesterday so the bike has not been ridden very much sense I purchased it, only here on my farm. I did take it on a sixty mile ride yesterday after I finished my test and received my endorsement. So the leak is really not to bad but needs to be fixed, and yes I am making sure the oil is staying free of coolant before I start the bike it is staying clean as can be. Thanks in advance for any and all of your great input. Peace out Jay

·
Registered
583 Posts
The radiator will come right off. It is held by three bolts and two hoses. It sounds like you have a possible leaky hose.

You have a fairing, so more might have to come off to get to it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I am also experiencing a coolant leak problem that popped up this weekend. looks like its either from the coolant cross over pipes or the head gasket. sealed up the coolant cross over pipes last night. will cross my fingers. i really don't want to pull the head off

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am also experiencing a coolant leak problem that popped up this weekend. looks like its either from the coolant cross over pipes or the head gasket. sealed up the coolant cross over pipes last night. will cross my fingers. i really don't want to pull the head off

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your leak is a head gasket wouldn't you have coolant in your oil or is this not the case with these engines?

·
Registered
724 Posts
If your leak is a head gasket wouldn't you have coolant in your oil or is this not the case with these engines?

I honestly dont know. i saw coolant collecting by the gasket. i'm sure it can leak externally as well as internally. I'll let you know in a few days when i start it up again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I spent a little time today trying to pull the radiator off to get to the top hose and decided to wait until another day, rain and no good shelter to work and didnt want to drain the coolant I did loosen the radiator and pulled it back enough to see that coolant was dripping from the top radiator side hose. Was able to get a long screwdriver in and tight the hose, much much better. Unfortunately the thermostat side is leaking just a little too and for the life of me I could not get to the clamp bolt. If only when it was reinstalled in the past the bolt had been set in the correct position to get to it with a long driver which could have been done but wasnt! Looks like the left side motor mount will have to be loosened and moved to the side to allow access to the clamp bolt. The GOOD new is it seems to just be the hose and the major part of the leak was the the clamp I was able to tighten. I put her back together and no coolant smell and no coolant collecting at the bottom of the radiator and after several minutes of idle run just a very small drip on the clamp bolt I could not get to. Gave her a good twenty mile ride with no coolant smell and no coolant at bottom of radiator. I know I will need to get in there and tweak the other clamp but feel much better knowing its a hose clamp situation and not a seal. Anyway it feels good to have done my first small dis-assembly and re-assembly of the bike and will wait till a better day to dive in again. Jay

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
The hoses are usually quite robust,it's the old clamps that go mostly.You can just use some new Jubilee clips and I would recommend you do that when you can as it sounds like the old ones are ready to let you down.

As for the cross pipes they have O-rings in them.These can be bought sometimes from Honda dealers but they can also be sought from good local plumbers.Here's a chart with their dimensions if ever required,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=95&hilit=o+ring

Note:If ever you do renew these use a small screwdriver to clean the crud from where they seat inside the pipes and you can also use a thin smear of RTV gasket sealer to make sure.I use clear household Silicone Bath sealant as it's cheap and does the job but any RTV gasket sealer will do.It allows for any age anomalies.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Well, I spent a little time today trying to pull the radiator off to get to the top hose and decided to wait until another day, rain and no good shelter to work and didnt want to drain the coolant I did loosen the radiator and pulled it back enough to see that coolant was dripping from the top radiator side hose. Was able to get a long screwdriver in and tight the hose, much much better. Unfortunately the thermostat side is leaking just a little too and for the life of me I could not get to the clamp bolt. If only when it was reinstalled in the past the bolt had been set in the correct position to get to it with a long driver which could have been done but wasnt! Looks like the left side motor mount will have to be loosened and moved to the side to allow access to the clamp bolt. The GOOD new is it seems to just be the hose and the major part of the leak was the the clamp I was able to tighten. I put her back together and no coolant smell and no coolant collecting at the bottom of the radiator and after several minutes of idle run just a very small drip on the clamp bolt I could not get to. Gave her a good twenty mile ride with no coolant smell and no coolant at bottom of radiator. I know I will need to get in there and tweak the other clamp but feel much better knowing its a hose clamp situation and not a seal. Anyway it feels good to have done my first small dis-assembly and re-assembly of the bike and will wait till a better day to dive in again. Jay

Usually, taking the tank off will allow you to get at the other hose clamp. It is only 5 minutes to get the tank off.

·
Registered
507 Posts

Lowlife check the tubes that go frog the thermostat housing to the block. I had one leaking a couple weeks ago and it leaked down onto the head. I couldn't tell it was leaking, because it was the back side and it appeared to be the head gasket. I used that chart Shep just posted and got something to work for me. I really didn't want to pull the heads either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts