Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a small coolant leak (maybe drips a tablespoon or two of coolant) after I shut my bike off and park it. It also drips a little when riding but again, quite slowly. I haven't pulled the carbs off or anything to do a thorough inspection but is there anything there that fails frequently? I know this is sort of a long shot but I figured I'd ask before I start tearing it apart. Maybe I can have the parts ready before hand!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do a search for the "triple by pass" or changing the mechanical seal( most use Shep's method on changing the seal) AGB-1, check quick reference section on the forum.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Can you isolate exactly where the leak is? It could be the weep hole (mechanical seal), or if you see it below the bike behind the carbs, it might be from the overflow tubes in front of the rear tire.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't see specifically where its coming from, but its dripping down onto the rear part of the engine.

Its coming down the left hand side after hitting where the arrow is pointing.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
see that really smart chrome pipe,running through your arrow,hold a tissue to the underside of that really nice chrome smart pipe,where it meets the engine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at that, it seems to behind it (more to the right). I should have mentioned that in first post.

But I could be wrong!

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
There are 3 points around that area that can leak coolant,usually.

1:The small rubber Feeder pipe that comes over the top of the engine from the thermostat to the top of the water pump.

2:The Mechanical seal(Weep Hole)

3:The O-ring on the coolant transfer pipe.

You need find which one if these it is?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Check the weep hole (bottom of the water pump housing) as on my bike when it leaks it runs to the back of the engine and always out the left side of the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.